Free co.uk domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaHoW

Reaction score
Can someone create nahow.co.uk for me I will pay 500 credits

Sohail

Reaction score
I'm in UK now and it's closed :p Well I'm going to close this thread now because the offer isn't open anymore then. Feel free to open the thread if anything else comes up.

Sohail

Reaction score
Oh okay I just registered my free domain that's great!

Sohail

Reaction score
I won't be able to do it for you with the same number and IP will I?

F

Fahad

Yes, you are.
It is 100 free domains per person, but you can only register one each day.
EDIT: Select existing contact. You don't even have to enter your details again.

hcse26

Reaction score
Hey would someone be kind enough to register a domain for me? I don't live in the UK (ofcourse nor own a UK Mobile Number).

I'm willing to give all my credits for it

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Hey would someone be kind enough to register a domain for me? I don't live in the UK (ofcourse nor own a UK Mobile Number).

I'm willing to give all my credits for it

I'm in the UK & will be happy to give it a try for you. What domain name would you like? (don't forget to check that it's available first!) We'd better hurry if this offer ends this year, as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Question for people who have already registered a domain for someone else:

What did you do/suggest to make sure that you don't get stuck with renewal fees at the end of the year? Did you transfer it to the other person straight away/ set up the account in their name/ did nothing but just plan to let the account lapse at the end of the year ...etc?

Thank you for any tips to make this as plain-sailing as possible for both parties!

hcse26

Reaction score
I'm in the UK & will be happy to give it a try for you. What domain name would you like? (don't forget to check that it's available first!) We'd better hurry if this offer ends this year, as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Question for people who have already registered a domain for someone else:

What did you do/suggest to make sure that you don't get stuck with renewal fees at the end of the year? Did you transfer it to the other person straight away/ set up the account in their name/ did nothing but just plan to let the account lapse at the end of the year ...etc?

Thank you for any tips to make this as plain-sailing as possible for both parties!

Ok. This is a win-win situation. Just check your PM box for my message. :)
Edit:
Note: This part is for .co.uk registrants ONLY

Ok guys, so I've googled this offer up and I found a catch through google through the OVH forum.

The thread is here: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1215&page=2

We all know that standard .uk registration rules allow a minimum of 2 years. OVH does that BUT remember, they are only gonna give you the free ride for a year only. after that, if you want to continue the second year, you can either pay them half the price of the .uk or you can cancel it with you paying nothing at all.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Ok. This is a win-win situation. Just check your PM box for my message. :)
Edit:
Note: This part is for .co.uk registrants ONLY

Ok guys, so I've googled this offer up and I found a catch through google through the OVH forum.

The thread is here: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1215&page=2

I've just set up the 2 domains for you, & had spotted that forum as well.....I was about to post that info here myself! The forum & OVH website isn't clear, though, if one can transfer to a different registar for free just before the 1 year has elapsed, or if they charge you to transfer. Other registrars are usually keen for business so won't charge to transfer INTO them, but OVH may charge to transfer AWAY from them (the "catch")

I'd posted a warning about possible catches like this on an earlier post to this thread; http://forums.x10hosting.com/ads-offers/85043-free-co-uk-domain-3.html#post466224 but didn't get a response then.

If anyone has found anything out, or has tips on transferring domain ownership from me to hcse26 (see my last post, above) I would appreciate it. Has anyone managed this, or did you just hang on to ownership of the domain yourself & point the DNS servers to wherever the other person wanted? This would be an easy option, but may pose problems when one has to pay renewal fees at the end of the year.:dunno:

Cheers for any advice.

hcse26

Reaction score
Ok So I found a registrar that doesn't have strings for transfer.

The name is Xilo. I have yet to confirm anymore useful details but meanwhile, you guys can visit their site:

http://www.xilo.net/domain_names/

By strings, I mean transfer is free but they commonly require you to buy a 1 or 2 years extension.

But as I understand it, It's a free transfer and they're going to extend your domain for two more years without paying anything and you won't even have to buy hosting from them. But as I said, I will confirm these details.

Zen, can you confirm if it costs anything to transfer .uk domains please?

zen-r

Reaction score
Ok So I found a registrar that doesn't have strings for transfer.

The name is Xilo. I have yet to confirm anymore useful details but meanwhile, you guys can visit their site:

http://www.xilo.net/domain_names/

By strings, I mean transfer is free but they commonly require you to buy a 1 or 2 years extension.

But as I understand it, It's a free transfer and they're going to extend your domain for two more years without paying anything and you won't even have to buy hosting from them. But as I said, I will confirm these details.

Zen, can you confirm if it costs anything to transfer .uk domains please?

Hi, I'm not quite sure what your question is, or what the point is that you're making. I'll try to clarify what I have found so far, if this helps.

As I said, most sites are free to transfer INTO. This Xilo site is no different, but seems rather expensive for the registration (£10). The site I mentioned before, www.daily.co.uk is free to transfer into (at least they were the last time I used them) & only charge £2.55/year for reg. (I think 15% VAT may be added on). I'm sure there are also plenty of other sites with good prices. Daily have provided a good service & customer support so far, & you'd only need their basic service of £2.55/yr if you stick with X10 for your hosting etc.

As for tranferring OUT of ovh.co.uk, the question mark still remains. Their site info is vague. I rang their Customer Support & got a guy who had to go off & ask someone. He then hesitantly said he thinks you can't transfer away from them within the 1st year of free accounts. But when I pressed him on whether you could transfer away for free after that, without them charging you or locking you in, he said that you could (thus avoiding their charges & going to a better registrar such as Daily).

Then I asked him the important question of just exactly at what point he would advise one could do this transfer. Because he says one can't transfer within the 1st year, & presumably if one doesn't renew with them before the 2nd year has started, the domain is suspended? So before, after, or exactly on the date the 1st year has finished? Guess what, the line went dead! Presumably this question was getting a little too awkward for him! Perhaps a little too close to the mark of where they hope to catch people out & start making their profits? You be the judge.

Anyway, I'm still hoping someone else here can add a few extra tips on their findings, & advise on how they handed sites over after they registered them for other members of the X10 forum.

F

Fahad

I have stickied this thread. When it the offer is finished, I will unstick it.

zen-r

Reaction score
Re: Free co.cc domain.

UPDATE (see my last post here)....

Since my phone call to OVH.co.uk, they have added this warning to their free .co.uk sign-up page;

It will not be possible to transfer a .uk domain registered as part of the promotion until the renewal fee for the second year has been paid in full.

Well there you go then, the "catch" confirmed. It also contradicts what he said to me on the phone, unless they mean that you can't transfer within the first year, but you can transfer without cost after the first year. But I doubt it. For those willing to pay their renewal fees, I don't think they're very much - but it always bugs people to be forcibly locked-in to something like this.

Still pretty vague! The offer does appear to be still on though, into year 2009. For some people, it may be best to just treat the "free" bit of the offer as "just free for 1 year, then dispose of the domain without incurring any cost" ;)

Fahad if you're moderating this thread, I notice that the main forum link to this thread, & the title to Derek's first post incorrectly says "Free co.cc domain". Is there any way to correct this to .co.uk, as a lot of people may be missing out on this freebie if they don't realise it's actually for a good TLD (top level domain).

Cheers​

Last edited:
F

Fahad

zen-r: I have fixed the name
About the transfers: Log into nominet.org.uk and select the "Change Registrar" option. This service will cost you £11.50 including VAT, and OVH have no control over this.

zen-r

Reaction score
zen-r: I have fixed the name
About the transfers: Log into nominet.org.uk and select the "Change Registrar" option. This service will cost you £11.50 including VAT, and OVH have no control over this.

Thanks Fahad.

At £11.50 to transfer (not including the next registrar's fees) it is probably cheaper to just renew with OVH for the 2nd year, as they want, or let the domain lapse at that point!

Status
Not open for further replies.