Free .com domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh72

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know any sites that offer free .com domains? Sites that offer free domains when you complete surveys for the site. No I don't want a .tk extension and yes I have tried the sticky at the top of this forum. I've found one site which seems alright: http://domainlagoon.com. The only problem is that it requires a phone number to sign up, which i dont really want to give. So if anyone knows any sites like this please post a reply :D

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Personally, I don't recommend trying to get a TLD for free as this doesn't exist. Signing up for random surveys could result in your inbox being bombarded with spam. Very few sites offering these will actually get you a domain, as well as random surveys sending spam.

When registering a domain, your real phone number and other personal information is required, so I'm guessing that might be why they need it.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I've found one site which seems alright: http://domainlagoon.com.
"Our sponsors are paying for you to try their services! Earn points to offer your input and sample their products! You can earn free points for surveys, sampling products, joining free websites and more!"
Translation: You are going to get spammed unmercifully. And even if you are inclined to but up with all the spam and other BS that is going to get thrown at you, who knows how long it will take to earn enough points to get a domain. I also suggest that you read through their TOS. There is some very interesting information there.

There are a number of reputable domain registers out there offering .com, .net, .org, ... etc... domain names for less than $10.00 a year and you will not have to jump through hoops and put up with other BS to get your domain name.

When registering a domain, your real phone number and other personal information is required,
Techairlines is absolutely correct about this. You will have to provide personal information to register your domain.

josh72

Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys :)
guess i'll just have to wait a while longer to get one

priyaa161

Reaction score
there is going to be a contest (may be) to win a domain. Wish you will be that lucky one to get domain.

jordanc

Reaction score
Lol, getyourbusiness online offers free .co.uk but you cant park to your own hosting only on their site builder and its trusted coz its in accosiation with bt, google, yahoo etc and advertised on the radio. idk!

amitc87

Reaction score
Even if you paid for a domain, you would have to give your address and phone number, and other data. It's called the Whois database. (http://whois.domaintools.com/)

The one difference, however, is that if you bought your domain, most sites allow you to buy an upgrade (not much) to have your Whois hidden. Most paid hosting companies give you Whois Protection for free, as well. However, you still have to give the company your address, it's just that the average guy can't get it. Only the police can, in case your doing something illegal.

Note: If your buying a domain, use NameCheap. Not only do they have the cheapest domains that I've seen, they have a coupon that lowers the price by 88 cents at all time (it changes every month), and they offer FREE Whois protection. I bought a domain from their once, it was awesome.

IPost2Host used to be a GREAT service in which you did forum posts to get free domain names, and hosting. Even provided Whois protect! Unfortunately they didn't make as much money from ads as they lost from giving away free hosting and domains... so they got shut down.

Bottom line: Don't get worried about giving away your name/address to these companies.

wvupcjo

Reaction score
I personally use godaddy, and they are very reasonable with prices, and customer service is AWESOME there. (no this isnt an ad for them, nor am i sponsered or endoresed by them lol) I used to try to use the free TLD service like domainlagoon, and i ended up having to cancel the email address i signed up with, because it got bombarded with spam 24/7. Tyler

Status
Not open for further replies.