Free Domains: Why I now like Dot.TK

dfsgdgdf

Reaction score
I've tried various free domains such as co.cc uni.cc and just recently got into dot.tk which I now use.

I. It's free, like most free domains.
II. You can register and unlimited amount of domains where most others only let you have a few.
III. The TTL for DNS resolution is extremely quick. Most of my .TK resolve in under an hour, sometimes even faster.
IV. Your privacy is protected as Dot.TK WHOIS is the administrator of Dot.TK, not you.
V. It's the shortest extension (.tk) free domain I know of.

dfsgdgdf

Reaction score
Surely all free domains are free?

~Callum

Some services are half/half. They give you ability to register x amount of domain, then they force you to pay to register more so you are buying the domains from a technical stand point.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Thought I saw you need X page views per 3 months to keep your domain. How do they monitor that?

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
.tk is pretty awesome and its my favorite free domain service as well.

It used to only support URL forwarding and URL frame, but now it supports full nameservers.

Even though its free, .tk is still technically a TLD, even if you don't fully own it.

The only disadvantage is the 25 views per 90 days requirement, which isn't bad, especially when compared to Uni.CC's requirement to put a small banner to track pageviews, which must be at least 10 per 3 months. CO.CC doesn't have any traffic requirement but many domains (usually those with normal english words) aren't free to register and renewal every year is free for personal use only.

magicz9412

Reaction score
If someone sent me a .tk link on msn, i wouldn't click it, i don't know why, i just don't trust links that use .tk

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
If someone sent me a .tk link on msn, i wouldn't click it, i don't know why, i just don't trust links that use .tk

Free SLDs and .tk are often used for malicious activities because they are free, although there are many legitimate site using the domain extension.

This is also the reason why Google Apps banned .tk. Its not possible to sign up for Google Apps using .tk as of March 2010 although co.cc works.

If you're trying to build a serious and professional site, getting a full paid TLD is highly recommended.

magicz9412

Reaction score
I like co.cc, but i realized, people won't want to play my game, if i have a free domain, as much as they would if i had .com, so i bought .com :p

Zegapain

Reaction score
It's definitely not bad, even when it was only URL forwarding but right now, I find co.cc more visually acceptable since it starts with c whereas .tk domains look a bit strange. but maybe that's because I'm just so used to seeing .com websites.

olliepop

Reaction score
.TK is great for people who just want to showcase their work with an easy to remember domain name. I was a .TK user from 2005-2008 until i just started purchasing domain names (my first ever domain name transaction was through x10 - love you long time <3)

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice to know about .
But will it be heavy on Google page rankings?
I always thought that GOOGLE Neglects .tk domains.
There are no tlds that I found raking high on pageranks.If anyone has some more info on GOOGLEs view of .tk domains,please post.
I've tried various free domains such as co.cc uni.cc and just recently got into dot.tk which I now use.

I. It's free, like most free domains.
II. You can register and unlimited amount of domains where most others only let you have a few.
III. The TTL for DNS resolution is extremely quick. Most of my .TK resolve in under an hour, sometimes even faster.
IV. Your privacy is protected as Dot.TK WHOIS is the administrator of Dot.TK, not you.
V. It's the shortest extension (.tk) free domain I know of.

rjraaz

Reaction score
.tk domains are not reliable and believable because those are used for forgery and all expert user know about them and they wont believe on these domains.

creastery

Reaction score
I like dot.tk when I didn't buy a domain.
As compared to uni.cc or co.cc, I personally feel that it is the fastest and easiest to configure.
Of course, as what techairlines has said, many .tk websites are usually linked to websites with malicious activities going on.

wolf99

Reaction score
Country based TLDs do affect how search engines display your page: for eg if someone is looking for golf clubs in the UK, they are more likely to get a .co.uk or .com than a .tk served because .tk is for the other side of the world.
So if you have a .tk TLD its less likely to reach your intended audience, unless the audience is in Tokelau

Alexpr

Reaction score
there are many more besides co.cc and .tk; cz.cc is becoming very popular now, and there is even a software that allows you to create your own: dnseed.com

with this, you can start your own free domain provider and make the rules (free or not)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
there are many more besides co.cc and .tk; cz.cc is becoming very popular now, and there is even a software that allows you to create your own: dnseed.com

with this, you can start your own free domain provider and make the rules (free or not)

That's a rip-off, I can do that on an x10hosting free account 0_o

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Yes its a rip off but you can't do it with an x10 free account as the subdomains are limited.