Free hosting not worth the money :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggiero66

Reaction score
Hi,

It is with regret that I am no longer utilizing my free web space with X10Hosting, because of too much downtime. the latest issue being a 503 Service Unavailable error on VOX.

Now, before anyone replies with "what do you expect for free?" I do have an X10Premium account, and simply wanted to keep my fee account available, thinking that it could be just as good as the paid offering. While my paid service with X10 has been more stable, there have been hiccups there too, including enough downtime for me to field my own support incidents from angry clients with the possibility of losing them.

I have more "invested" in my paid hosting, so it's harder for me to migrate away, but it may also happen eventually. Meanwhile, I can no longer recommend X10 as a free web host. I hope the servers improve for everyone else, but the TNSTAAFL principle seems to be in full effect here. Perhaps the other thing involved is the simple matter of shared resource hosting, and in that area nothing is perfect.

Thanks for reading,
Joe
http://ruggieroav.com
(formerly hosted on VOX)

rst101

Reaction score
Hi,

It is with regret that I am no longer utilizing my free web space with X10Hosting, because of too much downtime. the latest issue being a 503 Service Unavailable error on VOX.

Now, before anyone replies with "what do you expect for free?" I do have an X10Premium account, and simply wanted to keep my fee account available, thinking that it could be just as good as the paid offering. While my paid service with X10 has been more stable, there have been hiccups there too, including enough downtime for me to field my own support incidents from angry clients with the possibility of losing them.

I have more "invested" in my paid hosting, so it's harder for me to migrate away, but it may also happen eventually. Meanwhile, I can no longer recommend X10 as a free web host. I hope the servers improve for everyone else, but the TNSTAAFL principle seems to be in full effect here. Perhaps the other thing involved is the simple matter of shared resource hosting, and in that area nothing is perfect.

Thanks for reading,
Joe
http://ruggieroav.com
(formerly hosted on VOX)

I'm getting that way now(although i got prime). This is ridiculous, not a peep from anybody.

jjordan69

Reaction score
...It is with regret that I am no longer utilizing my free web space with X10Hosting, because of too much downtime. the latest issue being a 503 Service Unavailable error on VOX...

FROM --> http://status.x10hosting.com/

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 21
503 errors on Absolut and Vox7 hours ago
It has come to our attention that
attempting to load many PHP scripts on
Absolut and Vox will cause a 503
Service Unavailable error. Static HTML
sites and certain PHP scripts are not
affected. Administration is aware of
this issue and is working to fix it.

Last edited:

ruggiero66

Reaction score
JJordan and all,

Again, posting this status update ad nauseam does nothing to help matters. What's more, this status update was posted over one day after the issue was discovered. And it came after TWO OTHER ISSUES [disk full on VOX and MYSQL not available] that were not reported in a reasonable amount of time, with a promise that "we will try harder in the future to provide more timely status updates on when a service is down."

Yes, I know you are unpaid volunteers. But it was also understood that we were recently moved [that was its own fiasco] to more robust servers. I think the service has been worse since the move, and volunteer or not, you would probably agree with me.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I always hated the "what do you expect for free?" line, free hosting clients are still clients. I'm also not a fan of regurgitating the status page. Unfortunately in this instance I don't know any more that I can offer... The free hosting business will surely pick up again but that's of no comfort right now; I have problems even using the forums (with the dreadded 503 error) at times.

The problem with free hosting as I'm sure you've read before is that there are always going to be a number of users who are abusers. There are been a few accounts on Vox recently terminated for hosting gigabytes of files whose content are in breach of the terms of service and indeed some the law - this is the problem with offering an attractive hosting package for free.

I too have a site on x10Premium, and it has been rock solid so far. It's just a shame the free side of the business gets abused by so many causing problems for those who want to host a legitimate website.

Last edited:

ruggiero66

Reaction score
Sharky,

Guess you are the one who jinxed me now, :eek: because I just opened a support ticket with X10Premium due to a webmail client on my website (I am not running a mail server, mind you, just a way for people to access e-mail) not working, where it was earlier. This is with no changes on my part.

I know, this is off-topic, but I think X10 has had minor glitches like this all around. If this other issue continues to be a problem, I will move that application to another host.

Status
Not open for further replies.