Free Software Poll 1: Web browsers

What is the best Web Browser

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Welcome to the first batch of voting. This topic will be dedicated to free web browsers.

Remember, vote for your favorite pick. Make sure it's the best of the best. Once this poll is done we'll be giving it the coveted X10 seal of approval!

Web Browsers

FireFox
The award-winning Web browser. One of the most popular of the IE alternatives.

Opera
Another award-winning Web browser.

Flock
"The browser for people who like to be connected."

Maxthon
Easy to use and powerful web browser.

Safari
Apple's industry leading browser.

Google Chrome
Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and easier.

SeaMonkey
An advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple - all your Internet needs in one application.

Anirban1987

Reaction score
OMG !! As far as I can remember there is also an browser named Microsoft Internet Explorer which is indeed preety good.

xPlozion

Reaction score
meh, msie sucks. it's bloated and really slow, even on my Q6600 comp that can run Crysis on MAX if I had a better vid card.

I use both Chrome and Firefox, but since I'm on linux right now, and I'm accustomed to Firefox, I voted so. Also there's a few extensions that I can't live without.

compwhizii

Banned
Reaction score
OMG !! As far as I can remember there is also an browser named Microsoft Internet Explorer which is indeed preety good.

Are you serious.....

Dude. MISE has MANY security holes, doesn't have any good plugins, and is a target for hackers. Firefox is just the opposite, I always support it.

xPlozion

Reaction score
meh, as a developer, i think i can speak for most, if not all... I HATE IT. when i build sites, i test it against firefox first, just cause it's there and it's my favorite. i then have to switch to windows and debug my once fully working design to compensate for microsoft's incoherence with web standards. if internet explorer did not exist, web design costs would go down significantly, simply due to bug testing and debugging internet explorer.

adamlinux

Reaction score
I agree, people still using Internet Explorer are living in the dark ages, I tell everyone I can to switch to Firefox and once I actually get them to switch they never complain or go back to IE.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
This one would have to be Firefox. I've used it since the dial-up days and it's been more stable and less troublesome than IE. FF3 had some problems when it first came out but they were fixed quickly.

Sohail

Reaction score
Definitely Firefox, it's so powerful, there's a wide variety of addons and themes you can install so basically it's fully customizable, powerful, fast and everything, it just works better with displaying web pages too :)

brayden13

Reaction score
yer of course firefox the worlds best browser! i can't wait until they release 3.1

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I use Chrome and Firefox, but I find myself using Chrome more often. I've made Chrome my default browser just because it opens/responds faster than FF.

Once Mozilla releases that hyped update about performance improvements, then I'll judge which one becomes the new default

If Chrome gets extensions, Firefox is going to have some competition (which is always good for the users)

nterror

Reaction score
Read Google's TOS on Chrome... So many people were looking forward to this browser, and now won't go anywhere near it... Opera is said to be better than Chrome.

Voted Firefox. Limitless features, secure, highly customizable. Never had performance issues with it (remember, its usually an add-ons fault, not FX).

I wish IE was sunset software, forcing people to update. Id rather code for IE7 than IE5, if I had a choice... because people still ask for IE5 support... *sigh*

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I would have voted chrome if it had a add on functionality like FF... FF and Chrome should become one!

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
There is what everyone else said, and that this is the Freeware browser poll. You have to buy Microsoft to use it properly.

Let me give you a boring list! 10 reason why FF is better than IE.

1) Generally faster except when it is not. Sometime it throws a fit, but what program doesn't?
2) More compliant, displays web pages better, JavaScript engine better.
3) Extremely customizable, tons of addons and extended feature for free.
4) SKINS, how can you live without them. I use a cool NASA night launch skin :p
5) More secure. I am a freak about security and people employed by the NSA don't even allow IE to be installed on their computers!
6) Open source. FF is so reliable because it is looked over by thousands of programmers every day and the FF community.
7) Better allocation of memory. Self explanatory.
8) Great crash control and recovery. Unless on SSL, you get the page that crashed back, unless the page caused the crash, then you don't want to view it again.
9) Extremely well designed program with much less pop ups than IE. Most alerts and the find feature is nicely placed inside the window just above the page in an obstructive way.
10) Smaller, easier and faster to install.

Short and simple, Firefox functions the way it's users want it to and Internet Explorer functions the way Microsoft wants it to. Internet explorer is extremely undeveloped because it creates no revenue for Micro$oft and is full of hole, glitches, ect. Really, the only thing IE is better for is being closely linked with Windows, which makes it fail to work properly with everything else. IE is a bad attempt to make people Windows dependent, and it is working.

Also, Firefox is the everything browser. There are "specialized" browsers out there, but when I have a special need, I can just take 5 minutes to find a plugin to fill that need. Quick and simple. No browser offers the same versatility that Firefox does.

PS: Maybe not as well thought out, but there is another official browser thread.

Last edited:

Coldfirezz

Reaction score
I have to go with Chrome, Its simple and easy to use but If I had to choose a second it would be FireFox!

alz4445

Reaction score
Definitely Firefox. Highly customisable, endless amount of features and add-ons, etc.

Last edited:

GTKILLA

Reaction score
IE Sucks. FF3 FTW! My computer got attacked by viruses once and IE was a target too lmao.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm going to declare Firefox the winner of the coveted X10 peoples choice award.

Since we have a two way tie for second place they both will receive the runners up silver metal.

I will be unsticking this thread but if discussion wants to continue then so be it.

Thank you to all who participated in this.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
You should make an award logo, sort of like vigge_swe avatar and give it to Mozilla. The official X10 choice award ;)

vigge_swe.gif

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You should make an award logo, sort of like vigge_swe avatar and give it to Mozilla. The official X10 choice award ;)

vigge_swe.gif

I am. I just haven't had the time to put effort into it.