Free Software

simplycelebs

Reaction score
free softwere is not always good or bad. it can be both. so it depends on what your downloading to know exactly if its good or bad.

Last edited:

Mikek

Reaction score
simplycelebs said:
free softwere is not always good or bad. it can be both. so it depends on what your downloading to know exactly if its good or bad.

Exactly for piece of mind get software from safe sources eg distro packages, sourceforge, ...

satbir

Reaction score
In lay man's terms difference between Open Source & Free and Only Free software is that in case of only free software, since source code is not available, it is difficult to find out any hidden code whereas in case of open source since source cod is available, developers (not ppl like you and me but others) can check and vouch for safe nature of it.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Free software is that which is free to use but contains certain limitations as compared to professional or shareware software. Linux Softwares and distros are although free but they are not called as free but opensource meaning that you can make any changes to the source code without any copyright issues etc. i.e you are free to make any changes you want without legal hassles. Open Source Software is usually very good, but free software as I said contain ads and some of them have also been known to contain adwares, spywares etc. Therefore before installing any free software it is always good to read up on the EULA license agreement. But opensource softwares usually though free are excellent....:)

crabbypup

Reaction score
Because they can make money other ways. And Ubuntu (which is good) is not free, its open source

actually, i am pretty sure that ubuntu is both free and open source. there are only a handful of linux distros that are not free. personally i find ubuntu slow on my machine, so i use puppylinux (just look it up on distrowatch.com). if you want more info on linux i have a presentation i had to do fro school if you would like to see it.

Max1337

Reaction score
When it comes to Linux, I prefer Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop.
It's the best working Linux distribution I've used, plus it has a lot of cool features. :)

Mongoose92

Reaction score
Free software is free for a number of reasons;
- It may be a limited version of some commercial software, a form of advertising.
- It may be open source, built by a community.
- It might be made by someone in their study, who is annoyed at a lack of a program, or a lack of an affordable program, and decided to publish his own.

Free software from major distributors is generally ok, though I would avoid dubious software like limewire, which gives others access to your PC, and leaves loads of junk after you uninstall. Programs from small distributors, or individuals should be looked at with more suspicion, as it is easy for an individual to give out dodgy/infected software without being traced.

Thrash

Reaction score
Free software is 100% safe most of the time. Ubunta certainly is. When you get what is normally NOT free software for free (such as windows for free) then thats when things become not safe.
I would tell your dad to seriously reconsider hes thoughts on free software

roks83

Reaction score
yes Linux Ubuntu is safe in many ways and so is many other linux distros. you can download it with no worries of virus or messing up. easiest way if u havent got the time to download the dvd just get the livecd and update through that it saves alot of time

Dvd = 3odd GB
live cd = 678mb

:)