fsockopen - how to set up

globalre

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a Paypal IPN, which needs fsockopen to work.
I already tried to do it with this manual, but as I'm quite new to php, I can't figure out how to set the right commands.

Can someone please "decrypt" it for and explain it to me for the use here at x10?
Thanks a lot ...

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
To use fsockopen(), it needs to be enabled on the server. If you're on Free Hosting, you don't have fsockopen() available to you (it's disabled due to abuse issues). You'd need to use one of the other PayPal APIs (which can use cUrl).

globalre

Reaction score
If this is the case, why do you mislead potential users on your frontpage: If you have a free account, you can use sendmail and fsockopen, both vital functions for a website.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Sorry, but essellar provided some inaccurate information there.

fsockopen() is enabled on all Free Hosting servers, however we have a firewall in place that restricts traffic to only a small handful of outgoing ports (such as 80 and 443). If you need to connect out on a port that is already open, then you should be good to go (barring any programming issues, which someone else here may be able to help with, otherwise look for an app that already has it implemented and use that). If the port you need is closed, it is highly unlikely that it will be opened.