fsockopen outbound ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirfizx

Reaction score
Hello Admin,

I wish to be able to periodically monitor the integrity of several ports on my home network while I am away from home. To achieve this, I will need to php ping via fsockopen over ports 8090,8091,8092, and 8093. Can you open these outbound ports so that I can achieve this aim?

Sincerely,
Eric

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
If the port is not open now, they will not make exceptions unless you can show that it has broad appeal.

sirfizx

Reaction score
What are all the open ports? I would like to avoid any redirect through port 80. Even with that unwanted scenario, only one redirect could be mapped through port 80 and I need to ping 4 ports.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Free Hosting is meant for hosting a website, not scripts or utilties; to quote from our Terms of Service:

File Hosting: Every file on your site must have to do with the website you put up, we are not a file hosting service.
Crontab: We allow cron jobs, but they may not request external content, and only 1 cron job execution per 5 minutes.

From this, I'm not convinced that what you are attempting to do actually falls in line with our Terms for Free Hosting.

sirfizx

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Ryan. Actually, what I'm preparing to do has everything to do with a website. In fact it is intended to be an educational website where every ten minutes, a rich client application resolves cloud data conflicts (test questions, standards, general user settings, ... et al) with newly edited sql lite data stored on their local machine. I initially wanted this brief periodic automatic update to possibly occur over various outbound ports. The client, while being installed, will check the user's network for unused inbound traffic ports (just the four ports I mentioned) and request user permission to conduct periodic updates over a single chosen port. My current cron job, running once every ten minutes, is merely a first step in this direction that simply checks that the users internet is up and has communication available over that inbound port. I am developing the web site and the client application in parallel. My development model/paradigm involves first creating a stripped down technical proof of concept based on my UML use case and class diagrams. I understand why my aims may seem somewhat off the beaten track at this point, from your perspective, but let me assure you that every file is indeed germane to the website. Have a most rewarding day.
Cheers,
Eric

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just a general observation here: an application, even a browser-hosted app, is not necessarily synonymous with a web site. The fact that you are doing things over the internet (which, in this case, isn't "the web", per se, since by definition "the web" is HTTP and its secure variants) doesn't make it a web site, even if it may be an internet-based client/server app.

If you need an application host rather than a web host, you'll need a VPS or a dedicated/colo server.

sirfizx

Reaction score
@essellar

Thanks for the astute observation. The "website", used in the strictest sense, I'm developing will eventually house a forum where educators can discuss the validity and voracity of various standards based assessment questions. The application the educators will be using will not be browser based or housed on my "website", but instead be an installed native application on their local machines. The facility for the data resolution is to populate mysql tables for the forum so that discussion threads can be more fruitful, poignant and efficient as educators collaborate within the forum. :)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's still not within the terms, I'm afraid. You would need to offer a local utility to upload the data under separate cover (using an HTTP API).

sirfizx

Reaction score
@essellar
You would need to offer a local utility to upload the data under separate cover (using an HTTP API).

Not a problem. I will put a "forum sync" button within the native application itself. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Eric

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Glad to see it won't be a show-stopper. I know that the terms of service (here, and at a lot of other shared hosting locations) can throw a monkey wrench into some plans, but there's usually a way if there's a will, even if some compromises have to be made. There's a reason why there are a lot of services out there able to charge $50/month/instance and get away with it; when the budget comes down, the expectations have to come down as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.