FTP login error "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known"

Status
Not open for further replies.

edge929

Reaction score
Before you ask I've already read all other threads with the topic error in them, none resolved my problem. I work as programmer, have for the past 10 years and I've tried all the tricks I know, ftp, sftp, filezilla, smartftp, winscp, all browsers, port 21, 22, 776, etc.

I just want to connect via normal ftp using the provided info from cPanel:
FTP Username: edge@edge.x10.mx
FTP Password: cPanel pw
FTP Server: ftp.edge.x10.mx
FTP Server Port: 21

I thought it was strange that my full username is "edge@edge.x10.mx" as opposed to just "edge" seeing how that's the account I created. So the ftp URL string in a browser would look like

ftp://edge@edge.x10.mx@ftp.edge.x10.mx:21

Doesn't take a genius to figure out you can't have 2 @ signs (ie ftp://user@ftpaddress:portnumber)

Any ideas/help?

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Re: FTP login error "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not know

Try connenting using these FTP details

FTP Username: cPanel username
FTP Password: cPanel pw
FTP Server: edge.x10.mx

blackhnd

Reaction score
Re: FTP login error "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not know

This has happened to me before actually. NEVER just click connect with nothing in all boxes. If it saved the last session, click on the arrow beside QuickConnect and click on the ftp info shown at the top of that menu. :p

edge929

Reaction score

I tried both suggestions, neither worked.

Using ftp://edge.x10.mx/ in windows explorer I do connect to the FTP but can't seem to specify a user (ie ftp://edge@edge.x10.mx/)

--------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
You are user number 18 of 150 allowed.
Local time is now 13:48. Server port: 21.
This is a private system - No anonymous login

AngusThermopyle

Reaction score

On IE8 and FireFox, ftp://mydomain results in a login dialog (like a password protected directory) which allows me to enter cPanel username/pw and then I can see my site.

Just tried your site and the same login dialog popped up in IE8 and FireFox (obviously I could not login)

Last edited:

edge929

Reaction score

I just tried that too and was able to see my files, but it's presented in an html format (as opposed to a file explorer view for dragging/dropping files). What am I missing?

AngusThermopyle

Reaction score

Browsers aren't built for that .
You need to use Filezilla or some other FTP client. Use the settings Zubair posted above.

Last edited:

edge929

Reaction score

Exactly, and I've tried various (filezilla, smart ftp, winscp, fire ftp) and none will connect using the same connect info.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score

What username do you use? edge929?

edge929

Reaction score

I created a user named "edge" (no 929) to test the FTP access with 1MB quota. I've also tried the default username, same as my account login, neither work.

Hello71

Reaction score

Surprisingly, you actually do need two @ signs in one URI. So you put <username>@<domain> in the username box, ftp.<domain> in the domain box, and <password> in the password box.

edge929

Reaction score

Tried that too. Still no dice.

Copied and pasted from the cPanel FTP settings:

FTP Username: edge@edge.x10.mx
FTP Server: ftp.edge.x10.mx
SFTP Server Port: 776

I then changed the password to something VERY simple. Still not able to connect using Fire FTP.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score

FTP Username: edge
FTP Server: edge.x10.mx
SFTP Server Port:

But I would try using your cPanel/password too.

edge929

Reaction score

Yup, I've tried pretty much every variation that makes sense (and doesn't).

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score

What error does Filezilla give you?

edge929

Reaction score

The error in the title of this thread:

Status: Connection attempt failed with "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known".
Error: Could not connect to server

Status
Not open for further replies.