FTP Timeout when connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dex Luther

Reaction score
I tried searching first, but nothing relevant came up.

I downloaded and installed Filezilla. I used the .reg file supplied, but it didn't seem to do anything (the Site Manager entry wasn't there). I manually entered the info given instead.

When trying to connect it resolves host, then connects to an IP number, and I get a message saying 'Connection established, waiting for welcome message...'. After about 30 second to a minute, I get a connection timed out error and a 'could not connect to server' message. The process then repeats.

I'm using AVG Internet Security, and made sure FileZilla was allowed. I even checked Windows Firewall and added port 21 to it's exceptions list. I'm using a 2Wire 2701NG-G Home Networking modem with the built in Application Support set to allow all.

I'm all out of ideas as to why my FTP client won't connect. Can anyone out there help me?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just tried logging on to my FTP - works fine for me and that's on the Absolute server; you're on the Starka server.

My site manager is set as follows:

Host: phoenixsupras.exofire.net
Yours would be: rude.exofire.net

Port box = empty.

Servertype: FTP

Logon Type: Account

User: ultralad91@phoenixsupras.exofire.net (In Cpanel I went to FTP and added a new user)
Yours would be: dex360@rude.exofire.net (unless of course you made another user)

Password: Same as your cpanel password, unless you changed it, or made a new user with a different password.

Then connect.

If that doesn't work then it must mean that FTP is temporarily down.

Dex Luther

Reaction score
Well the Service Status page indicates that everything is up, so I don't know what's going on. I entered all the info correctly.

Reaction score
I'm not sure then.

If it doesn't work within a good time limit then all I can really suggest is to open a ticket by clicking the support button on the right hand side >>

Dex Luther

Reaction score
I'm not sure then.

If it doesn't work within a good time limit then all I can really suggest is to open a ticket by clicking the support button on the right hand side >>

Unfortunately, that seems to lead to another problem. I need to register to open a ticket, but clicking on the register link they give me returns an error that I don't have permission.

Is there an alternate way that I can upload files while having the appropriate modes set (Binary and ASCII)? Preferably automatically detected (uploading skins for my forum).

Again, thank-you for your help. :)

EDIT: Oh wait, I just noticed that you set the logon type to 'Account'. If that isn't a typo it might be the missing piece of the puzzle. I had logon type set to Normal. However, setting it to account prompts the program to ask me to enter something in the 'account' box, but I don't know what exactly I should enter there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can enter anything in that box.

For example, say you have more than one site you could put SITE A, SITE B etc etc.

If you notice just underneath the word File there's a button if you just put your mouse over it says: "Open the Site Manager", there's a small arrow right next to it, if you put SITE A into that box (which you say is empty and don't know what to put in there) you'll see that when you click that arrow it will have a drop down kind of menu with SITE A to which you can connect to that FTP.

Support site - I wasn't aware that one had to register over there, I thought the database was linked. Did you try just logging in with your username and password rather than actually registering. I can't remember registering to be honest with you. Hopefully someone could either correct me on that point or give a correct answer??!?!

Last edited:

Dex Luther

Reaction score
You can enter anything in that box.

For example, say you have more than one site you could put SITE A, SITE B etc etc.

If you notice just underneath the word File there's a button if you just put your mouse over it says: "Open the Site Manager", there's a small arrow right next to it, if you put SITE A into that box (which you say is empty and don't know what to put in there) you'll see that when you click that arrow it will have a drop down kind of menu with SITE A to which you can connect to that FTP.

Support site - I wasn't aware that one had to register over there, I thought the database was linked. Did you try just logging in with your username and password rather than actually registering. I can't remember registering to be honest with you. Hopefully someone could either correct me on that point or give a correct answer??!?!

I don't think we're talking about the same box.

2dvpqvs.jpg

When I put something in the box with questions marks, it doesn't affect the label of the server (blue box) or what shows up under the arrow.

On the support site I tried logging in with my user name dex360 and Dex Luther, but both end up with invalid username or password errors.

Reaction score
I was talking about http://www.ultrawayuk.net/x10.jpg

On the screenshot you've posted you can just click Rename (if you wanted to rename it).

That Account box, just put anything in there.

EDIT**:

Sorry, let me clear that up.

If you Rename it then that's when it will change the name under the arrow I've been talking about.

Last edited:

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Since this doesn't seem to have been mentioned already, I'll give this option to try.

Filezilla seems to have an option ( and I may have this incorrect ) about doing multiple connections to the FTP server. If you disable the multiple connections, it may connect easier.

There has been other FTP threads with people using Filezilla and this has been mentioned a few times in those threads.

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
I would throw Filezilla in the recycle bin. It may be the most popular, but definetly on the best one there is. If you use Firefox, then FireFTP is better and easier to use. If not, I would suggest testing out CuteFTP Pro for the time needed, because it is a 30day trial. Then go ahead and look for a free one that does the job or use FireFTP for Firefox. If you don't feel like downloading programs, then you may want to try net2ftp.

Last edited:

Dex Luther

Reaction score
I would throw Filezilla in the recycle bin. It may be the most popular, but definetly on the best one there is. If you use Firefox, then FireFTP is better and easier to use. If not, I would suggest testing out CuteFTP Pro for the time needed, because it is a 30day trial. Then go ahead and look for a free one that does the job or use FireFTP for Firefox. If you don't feel like downloading programs, then you may want to try net2ftp.

FireFTP doesn't seem to work either. I've also tried SmartFTP with no luck.

I'm starting to think that maybe my ISP blocked FTP for some reason.

This is kinda getting frustrating. I hate not knowing what's wrong.

CuteFTP Log:

*** CuteFTP 8.3 - build Aug 25 2008 ***

STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:33:14 PM] Getting listing ""...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:33:14 PM] Resolving host name ftp.rude.exofire.net...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:33:14 PM] Host name ftp.rude.exofire.net resolved: ip = 69.162.78.34.
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:33:14 PM] Connecting to FTP server... ftp.rude.exofire.net:21 (ip = 69.162.78.34)...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:33:14 PM] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
ERROR:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:15 PM] Timeout (60000 ms) occurred on receiving server response.
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:15 PM] Waiting 30 seconds...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:45 PM] ============== Attempt #1 ==============
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:45 PM] Resolving host name ftp.rude.exofire.net...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:45 PM] Host name ftp.rude.exofire.net resolved: ip = 69.162.78.34.
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:45 PM] Connecting to FTP server... ftp.rude.exofire.net:21 (ip = 69.162.78.34)...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:45 PM] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...

Last edited:

scottnj

Reaction score
FireFTP doesn't seem to work either. I've also tried SmartFTP with no luck.

I'm starting to think that maybe my ISP blocked FTP for some reason.

This is kinda getting frustrating. I hate not knowing what's wrong.

CuteFTP Log:

*** CuteFTP 8.3 - build Aug 25 2008 ***

STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:33:14 PM] Getting listing ""...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:33:14 PM] Resolving host name ftp.rude.exofire.net...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:33:14 PM] Host name ftp.rude.exofire.net resolved: ip = 69.162.78.34.
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:33:14 PM] Connecting to FTP server... ftp.rude.exofire.net:21 (ip = 69.162.78.34)...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:33:14 PM] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
ERROR:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:15 PM] Timeout (60000 ms) occurred on receiving server response.
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:15 PM] Waiting 30 seconds...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:45 PM] ============== Attempt #1 ==============
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:45 PM] Resolving host name ftp.rude.exofire.net...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:45 PM] Host name ftp.rude.exofire.net resolved: ip = 69.162.78.34.
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:45 PM] Connecting to FTP server... ftp.rude.exofire.net:21 (ip = 69.162.78.34)...
STATUS:pigeon: [2/15/2009 9:34:45 PM] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...

I think the reason you are having this problem is because you have ftp.rude.exofire.net as your host. Try just rude.exofire.net in any program (including Filezilla) and see what you get.

Dex Luther

Reaction score
I think the reason you are having this problem is because you have ftp.rude.exofire.net as your host. Try just rude.exofire.net in any program (including Filezilla) and see what you get.

Well Cpanel said the host was ftp.rude...., but I've tried with and without the FTP.

scottnj

Reaction score
Well then try opening up My Computer and in the address bar (view>Address Bar if not up already) put in ftp://dex360@rude.exofire.net/ and see what you get.
If it asks you for your password, put it in. If it gives you an error, then hit Ok, right click the part of the window where the file icons would be, and press Login As...

See if you can log on that way.

Dex Luther

Reaction score
Well then try opening up My Computer and in the address bar (view>Address Bar if not up already) put in ftp://dex360@rude.exofire.net/ and see what you get.
If it asks you for your password, put it in. If it gives you an error, then hit Ok, right click the part of the window where the file icons would be, and press Login As...

See if you can log on that way.

Ok, well doing that made just made the hour glass cursor show up, and the title bar changed to 'My Computer (Not Responding)'. From experience things sometimes stop not responding, so I let it sit for a while. It's been about 5-6 minutes now and it's still not responding, so I guess that means it didn't work. :(

scottnj

Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry to hear that. That is all I can think of besides trying to connect from some other network.

Sorry I wasn't of any help. If I was an account manager or somewhere up there I would check for you. But I don't think I have been around long enough for that. ;-)

Good Luck!

Dex Luther

Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry to hear that. That is all I can think of besides trying to connect from some other network.

Sorry I wasn't of any help. If I was an account manager or somewhere up there I would check for you. But I don't think I have been around long enough for that. ;-)

Good Luck!

Thanks for all your help, but I finally figured it out. Out of of last moment effort to figure this out, I disabled AVG Firewall completely. It was configured correctly, but it seems that even so it was still deciding to block FTP access (a bug in the program?). Right after disabling the firewall FTP decided to connect and work perfectly.

The proof that I had it configured correctly is that now for some reason FTP connects even when the firewall is enabled. :nuts:

Status
Not open for further replies.