Gannman's Domain - open for review

gannman

Reaction score
Happy Holidays fellow members. I would like to open up my site for some feedback, reviews, suggestions, and etc from my fellow X10 members. I'm also looking for topical/subject ideas to branch into. I also have images I've worked on accessible from the site. Thanks in advance for all praises, critiques, and suggestions.

My site: http://gannman.x10hosting.com/

Joe (Gannman) Gann

futomara

Reaction score
One suggestion is to use a consistent theme throughout your site. For example, try not to use a different header banner on each page. Use the banner graphics on each page some other way. Hope this helps.

gannman

Reaction score
One suggestion is to use a consistent theme throughout your site. For example, try not to use a different header banner on each page. Use the banner graphics on each page some other way. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I've wondered how effective the banners were. They are cool to look at, but might well be a bit clunky as a header. I do wish to keep the images in some capacity for each page...maybe as a menu item? Suggestions?

kestrel1

Reaction score

Yes, I would totally agree with this. Also try to make it a bit more friendly for Firefox users. You suggest installing the IE tab extension. You should really make the site more compatible with multiple browsers & not expect people yo install software to view the site correctly. The link that you give for the tab extension is not working anyway.
The banners are also not sized correctly & can go off of the screen. Try to use a screen size percentage rather than a pixel size 80% - 90% is probably best.
These are not digs, but just observations. Apart from that the site is looking good.

gannman

Reaction score
I'll definitely look into the PNG usage. Totally agree with making it more Firefox compatible. Thanks again. It'll probably be the first of the year when I can consentrate on cleaning things up - so these suggestions will come in handy.

praytell24

Reaction score
It looks very well put together, although it would be nice if you added some css to it.

gannman

Reaction score
Well, folks, the plan was to have a new version of my site up by yesterday, but that was not to be. I have taken the suggestions put forth and made a few changes to the site and am currently putting things together. The only thing remaining the same is my image gallery slide show from Google Picasa for my "Image Imaginations" images...for the time being. The shiny new version should be done by week's end.

AngusThermopyle

Reaction score
If you just want to support one browser you'd be better off choosing firefox:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Those are clearly biased stats. They say so at the bottom:

W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.
These facts indicate that the browser figures above are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is used by at least 80% of the users.

slacker3

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's true. But it's a real pain for the average guy to find this little "workarounds" which are sometimes needed for microsoft's internet explorer to display content correctly, even on today's IE8.

rampagegroup

Reaction score
Love the art!

But a little distracting with the banner changes. All in time tho.

Good luck!

gannman

Reaction score
All - thanks again for the suggestions.
The new design is now up and running. The big challenge now will be to add more content. Have a look.