Geeks Make the Best Lovers?

joejv4

Reaction score
The insult comes from people who call me "socially retarded." After all, I get top marks in class (Geeks) While I find it hard to get a girlfirend and find other thing are more important in life (Nerds). Also I think that there is a lack of understanding in the general public. On one forum I get get called "retard" all the time.

Where does that leave me?

Daniel,

If it makes you feel any better, I run a software QA department, and when I interview candidates for a job opening, one of the questions I always ask is: "On a scale of 1 to 10, where do you see yourself in terms of "geek-factor"? This is an informal, and fun question at the end of the interview, but it goes a long way in giving me a little extra insight into the candidate's potential to be successful in SWQA.

Now here's where the fun comes in. I want an "immediate" answer of 7 or above, because "geek-factor" is important in the world of software QA.

By "immediate", I mean, they can take a moment to consider their answer, but don't ask what I mean, they are already geeky enough to know what I mean, and 7 is my choice as a lower boundary, simply because this is a "geeky" profession.

So I have a team of SWQA engineers and technicians, who are all a 7 and above on the geek-factor scale, and not one of them is socially retarded. In fact, they are all very well-rounded individuals with outgoing personalities, while at the same time, they are very much "into" all things geeky.

Pigeon-holing somebody into a label such as geek (or if you prefer, nerd) simply does not work. People, and their personalities are much more complex than any one label will allow.

As I mentioned before, depending on the circumstance, situation, and context, here are some of the different labels that fit me - and a lot of them are contradictory:

geek
jock
clown
stick-in-the-mud
conservative
liberal
professional
red-neck
technophile
Outdoorsman

Heck, back in high school, after Friday afternoon varsity football practice, I'd go to a friends house for a couple hours of Dungeons and Dragons, then the next morning, I'd grab my shotgun and go hunting, followed by coming home and reading a novel - If that doesn't go against labeling, nothing does!!!!

Oh yeah, I'm an avid hunter and fisherman, and due to my geeky side, I am on this forum because I decided to create a message board of my own, for people from my area to talk about fishing and hunting. To add all the mods and tweaks on my board, I had to learn to work with CSS, PHP, and MySQL. (took almost an hour to figure out!!!!)

There are probably another hundred different labels out there that would apply to me in the right context or situation, and they are all accurate when used in the proper context.

You asked:
Where does that leave me?

It leaves you being the person your are, with your own set of values, interests, and priorities. There are going to be people who do not see the value in your versions of these things (they don't "get" you). At the same time, chances are, that you do not see the value in those things that they value(you don't "get" them). You will, however, find that there are a lot of people who have similar values, interests, and priorities as you. The trick, is to acquaint yourself with people who are somewhat like-minded, while ignoring those who would put you down for who you are (who needs those people anyhow?).

Be yourself, and things will work themselves out.

Last edited:

mattura

Reaction score
I still can't discover whether this thread is serious or tongue in cheek! (where did my last post go?)

fractalfeline

Reaction score
@mattura
It's a little of both :) :) :) I think the seriousness revolves around nerdiness and negative stereotyping. I think the tongue-in-cheek revolves around our Obvious Excellent Lover Skillz that are sadly under-appreciated.

I dunno about you, but I'm a geek, and I'm totally the Pepe le Pew of humanity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEdBndu0YUM

lukoot

Reaction score
DAM im still writing in crayons never mind html,css or php
i aint ever gona be a better lover am i :frown::frown:

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Then the answer would be to stop labelling completely, and just see everyone for what they are, human beings. Complex human beings.
And one last thing, in each relationship, you love differently. It's kinda hard to put it in a few words, but you will not love the same way two persons. Your behaviour will change in each relationship you are in.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
I still can't discover whether this thread is serious or tongue in cheek! (where did my last post go?)

One line posts are not allowed in Crossfire, You deserve infraction for this but I just remove your post to warn you don`t do this again. I hope you will understand what i am saying.

mattura

Reaction score
One line posts are not allowed in Crossfire, You deserve infraction for this but I just remove your post to warn you don`t do this again. I hope you will understand what i am saying.

hmmm...fair enough I guess, but is that kind of rigidity the best idea to keep things interesting? Sometimes less is more and some things don't have to be said. Next time I'll probably just
pad
things
out
a bit ;-)

Anyway, gone off topic, better say something about geek love: it rules! Especially chic geek chicks (try repeating that quickly)