General Programming

fergandross

Reaction score
General Programming Questions

Can i just ask you all, how do you program? I would like some small teaching on this, would anyone be interested in a little tutoring in programming? even if it's you Rhianna it can only be small things that you know so far, anyone with help i would really appreciateit

Thanks mates

Nick Ferguson

Edit:: This question does not belong in the Card Script Thread. "How do you program?" is a very general question. This question belongs in a beginning/newbie category.

~Rhianna

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tooya

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_syntax.asp

Check out that site if you are interested in programming. It quickly glides over the basics (and more confusing parts) of php programming. But to answer your general question, how do you program, well... first I learn the main parts of programming.

Theres the famous if statements. If you are in HS like me, you may have calculaters from the TI series. Those calculaters include the if statement through basic programming.
Heres a fun example of what I am talking about

If(person is a girl)
{
flirt
}
else
{
avoid
}

There you go an if statement made in no particular language. There are also many other statements that are very important to learn. For statements do something a set number of times... so

for(int number=1;number<10;number=number+1)
{
System.out.println(number);
}

The above will print out "number", then add 1, then print out number, then add 1, until number is finally more then 10.... then number stops printing.

Bah, if most of this is greek to you... then I suggest you get started on a language to learn. I am no pro at programming but I can be willing to help out. I know a decent amount of java (however I think stacks and queues are the biggest pain in the ass in the world and who ever created them is pure pure pure evil), and I am also moving into the php realm.

As long as you learn the fundamentals, I think you will be alright with programming, seriously. Here look at this

Java
System.out.print("Hello");
PHP
echo "Hello";

Java
if(x==1)
{
System.out.print("AHH");
}
else
{
}

PHP
if($x=1)
{
echo "AHH";
}
else
{
}

Similar, no?

prasys

Reaction score
What Language ?

PHP ? ASP ? erm..C+/VB

Is this related to Web Programming or Computer Programming...Its tooo general

n4tec

Reaction score
Fergandross , you are writing about programming if you are a newbie to programming... I should tell you from experience that programming in general would take you a life time....

have a good day...

nforchange

SnT2k

Reaction score
You also got to note that programming isn't just a one-shot-deal, nor could it go "could you teach me". Enough babbling, anyway I suggest you learn some easy language with lots of reference (PHP may be good, though I started with PERL) before moving into something more complicated like C++.

Here's something that might help you in programming: http://processing.org/
it's not really something for development, but it helps in developing skills and getting a feel on what programming is like.

Jim

Reaction score
I went like this:

Basic -> Visual Basic -> Python/Perl -> PHP -> C++/Java

Dark.Cobra

Reaction score
You should start with the long lost Turing. Althou it has no real abilities, it will teach you how to write up basic programs, learn if structures, define variables, and so on. It really has the fundamentals of most languages made easy.

prasys

Reaction score
You can choose , computer programming or web programming
Of course If you know C and PHP..Then it might help a lot..But HTML+Basic (or Visual Basic) will help a lot you too !