Get FAST

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't entirely buy it to begin with, but I dug in as much as I felt like doing this early in the morning (which apparently is a lot). Here's what I've found:

If I'm to trust VirusTotal, it's at least got a good chance of doing the opposite of what it says on the tin. VirusTotal shows one scanner, DrWeb, has it marked as Trojan.InstallMonster.2152, and at least five others tag it as either suspicious or generic malware of varying levels of severity. Not a deal-breaker of course, but very unusual for it to call out a specific piece of malware rather than generic.

Their Facebook page is a worry-point too - a user who's name is in Chinese basically says the app is doing little more than changing the priority of apps in Windows to High, while reducing others to Low (the same could be done via Task Manager, if you felt so inclined). They also note that the differences aren't easily noticed on a 4+ core CPU, that you can get similar results with ProcessLasso (an app which doesn't trigger warnings from VirusTotal I might add), and that it has a bloated UI based on NodeWebkit.

One of the more recent posts on FB is also that it's apparently a trial, and the trial time is too short to make a decision. There wasn't any mention of it being a trial on their page though.

Still going down the rabbit hole, their site was set up on 3-9-17. So in under three weeks, they have at least three testimonials? From where? Their Facebook page (at the time of this writing) only has three people who have posted on it, and none of them had anything positive to say thus far! Including a personal favorite from their site:

My music editing application is finally running like it should have always been.

M. Scott
Musician

Their second testimonial calls out Excel by name; why doesn't this one? I follow some musicians on Youtube and Twitter. Granted, they're indie groups, but they don't hesitate to name their software and hardware choices, so why the hesitation by M. Scott?

Of course, if we really want to dig, we can search them on the Department of Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver website for the Republic of Cypress (since they indicate that VeryFast is registered in Nicosia, Cyprus on their site). I was unable to use any combination of VeryFast (including Very Fast, and Fast Very, etc) to return any results for the company name. Given government bureaucracy this could be out of date, or it might not be entered under their exact name, but it's still a concern for me.

And the last bit I bring to the table, reverse-image-searching some of the images from their page turns up some stuff I find interesting. For instance, if you reverse-search the image by the heading "PC's are slow by design," which is located at http://www.veryfast.io/images/resources.png, you might find find that Softronic has the very same image on their PC software named Boost from 2014; why would you use that to demonstrate your point, instead of something like the Windows Resource Monitor, which does just as effective a job and actually comes with Windows?

Now, none of this is conclusive (I'm no cop and I'm no lawyer and I'm no private investigator), but as a self-proclaimed techie with too damn much time on their hands (it's 2:30am and I literally dug this up for funsies), I'm not convinced.

It also doesn't hurt that while typing this I just realized they didn't run their site through spellcheck (bold and underline are added for emphasis):

Speed up your applications and documents with faster CPU execution, lower latency Disk data transmition and better memory reaction.

Your PC's resources are used by hundereds of processes and threads running inside your system

So, now that I've thoroughly proven that I don't have a life, feel free to draw your own conclusions on it. Given the virus hits from VirusTotal and my desires to not have to wipe and reinstall Windows this weekend, I have not executed the installer, so I can't actually tell in truth if the software does work or not. There's just too many questions without enough answers for me to risk it.

Also, WTF Cyprus. Seriously, come up with a better name for this: The Department of the Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver (D.R.C.O.R.) of the Republic of Cyprus. It doesn't even abbreviate to something easy to remember like S.H.I.E.L.D.

Edit: I also just realized this is probably my longest post ever in my 17,970 posts, and I was sober for it. I must remedy this.

jensen

Reaction score
You're the real deal when it comes to getting information and verifying AND you watch S.H.I.E.L.D too :)
Me too!

Thank you so much for showing me how to dig and where to dig. x10hosting has a very good investigating officer

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I've never watched SHIELD but I know it from the Marvel movies themselves :)