Site map is a must have, as are back-links from other sites if you can get ( or create ) them.
Linked images also seem to work well as does having all the image ALT tags with relevant descriptions.
Accessability features such as the ability to change font size, audio content and text-2-speech / braile reader compatability are also claimed to be looked open favourably by the search engines but very little feedback on this so far. Keyboard based navigation is another area worth considering as not everybody is comfortable or indeed able to use a conventional mouse.
But of course this is just the small stuff, little tweaks to the page code that help fine tune your pages performance. For serious results you need visitors and to get them you need original and relevent content and lots of it, if you have that then the search engines will find you.
Fed up with having to wait 2+ months to get your site indexed? How does 1 WEEK sound? If you answered yes then read on, if you answered no, read on because you might change your mind.
Overview: Most people want to get people to their site. A free way to do this is to get indexed in search engines like Google. However, it can take 2+ months to get Google to even look at your site. There is a way to get indexed quicker! How? you might ask. That's what this thread is for!
1. Sign up with a forum account on a good forum. x10 is a great forum as it has a PageRank of 3/10.
2. In your signature include a link to your site and something to entice people to go to it. (Look at my signature for an example) Make sure you have a text link and/or banner.
3. Post quality posts regularly and make sure it includes your signature.
4. Google and other search engines index forums regularly and your post will be checked out. Then the bot (a piece of software that does the indexing) will check out the text link.
5. Wait a day or two and your site should be indexed in Google, Yahoo and Windows Live. If this doesn't work, submit your website to a search engine.
Real example: My website, PC-Whizz.com is only about one week old (at the time of posting). I put a link in my signature and then in about one week I was indexed! Compare this to my old website, Socoma Australia.com which took about 2-3 months to get indexed.
I hope you find this useful!
This is also true for Classified Advertising sites - even the free ones:wink:Google and other search engines index forums regularly and your post will be checked out. Then the bot (a piece of software that does the indexing) will check out the text link.