Giving Drupal 8 a chance

jensen

Reaction score
Must be a mad dude for pain. Don't know why I'm still going to give Drupal 8 a try.
It's so bad when they move from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7 and now to Drupal 8. Really don't understand why they keep promoting Drupal as the best CMS which so much functionality and power bla bla bla

When in reality, WordPress whoops them flat when it comes to usability. When WordPress moves from one version to the next, all you need is click "upgrade" When you move from one version even to the next small step eg. Drupal 6.2 to Drupal 6.3, there's just so much to do back end and keeping all your fingers and toes crossed hoping that it does not break the website.

Wonder why people keep going for Drupal when they already tell you there's a steep learning curve. WordPress is so easy to theme, just one click. So easy to modify and edit. Why go for Drupal 8? What will happen when the move to Drupal 9? Will I still go through all that stress trying to move up my site?

Got warned for using too much resources with Drupal 7. Cracked my head trying to figure out installing Drupal 8 here at x10 and now behold my next Drupal 8 adventure.

Sigh... I must be nuts. So here goes - Open Social with Drupal 8 hosted here at x10hosting where your hosting is "x10-ed" (extend-ed)

jensen

Reaction score
My first wall - PHP OPcode caching can improve your site's performance considerably. It is highly recommended to have OPcache installed on your server. (this will go to the free hosting -support section but I will try to update on what's the progress.)

Gave up on Open Social distribution and now trying something simpler.

Last edited:

jensen

Reaction score
Yipee. Installed a distribution of Drupal 8. And yes the page didn't work.
Must be the templat-ing system because all the content is there but the layout is not.

http://gears4ears.x10host.com/social/

Then when trying to update.php ran into trouble.

Error 503
Backend fetch failed

Request ID 1470305522.150046860

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with Drupal, but maybe changing the PHP version in cPanel may help?

jensen

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Will try that and update the forums. The installation on a test server worked like a charm but that would cost me USD 199 per month. Why in the world do they still promote Drupal 8 I don't know. Use WordPress. Makes more sense. LOL.

In the mean time, I'd like to congratulate Corey and team. Don't know they do or how they do it but google picks up even their forums. Must learn from you guys on SEO.

When I typed in "free hosting drupal 8 hosting" in google, this thread comes up on No.2 Page.2
https://www.google.com/search?q=fre...ome&ie=UTF-8#q=free+hosting+drupal+8&start=10

DRUPAL 8 server requirements.
  • PHP 5.5.9 or higher
  • MySQL 5.5.3
  • Memory at least 16MB but x10hosting gives us 128MB. :)
More on PHP settings (need advice on these, do we have to manually change these settings somewhere?)

Recommended PHP configuration settings
Setting: session.cache_limiter = nocache

Setting: session.auto_start = 0

Setting: expose_php = off
Reason: Shows current PHP version in all header requests, security disclosure, see here
Example: X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.8

Setting: allow_url_fopen = off
Reason: This is a security issue: see here

Setting: magic_quotes_gpc = off
Reason: Forces quotes in variables - This feature has been deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0 and removed as of PHP 5.4.0.

Setting: register_globals = off
Reason: Security issue - having this enabled subjects PHP variables to input from any source:
This feature has been deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0 and removed as of PHP 5.4.0.

Setting: display_errors = Off
Reason: Hides errors output to display (website) we want to send to log file instead.

Last edited:

jensen

Reaction score
Changed PHP to version 5.5 and now I get this ->
The gears4ears.x10host.com page isn’t working
gears4ears.x10host.com is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

Perils of Drupal 8. Is there any wonder why it's not taking off as they hoped?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's fine on a VPS, dedicated or co-lo; you really do need to be in charge of the whole server to make it sing and dance, though, since (among other things) you really need persistent RAM to get anything like performance out of it. That's one of the drawbacks of writing a templating system in a templating system (PHP is that natively).

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll give Drupal 8 a shot on a test account later today and see if I can figure out what the settings have to be for it. We do meet all the requirements listed though.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I did reproduce the issue you mentioned on a fresh account but didn't have time to troubleshoot it until today.

The problem is the new Drupal is trying to override some server settings which ends up throwing a 500 error for some of the files like the CSS includes.

As a temporary solution you can comment out the Options line at the top of this file in the Drupal directory: sites/default/files/.htaccess

jensen

Reaction score
Thanks Corey. Had signed up on the free Drupal testing sites and enjoying it but for play only. It's way out of my budget to run any of those free trials when it expires. Am taking the opportunity to try out Drupal's capabilities there. For Drupal here will take your advice and enjoy the learning experience.

jppcrio2

Reaction score
Must be the templat-ing system because all the content is there but the layout is not.

I don't know if you really care about this anymore, but I think I was having the same problem as you. Yes, I also know that this is a very old thread.

The pages would load, but the style sheets would not load.

I was able to get the the CSS to work by going to:
Admin > Configuration > Performance

Uncheck The Followig:
Aggregate CSS files
Aggregate JavaScript files

Press [Save Configuration]

It's a band-aid.

I searched this forum for "Aggregate CSS files" just to make sure that it has not been covered already.

Last edited:

cjptomas80

Reaction score
I don't know if you really care about this anymore, but I think I was having the same problem as you. Yes, I also know that this is a very old thread.

The pages would load, but the style sheets would not load.

I was able to get the the CSS to work by going to:
Admin > Configuration > Performance

Uncheck The Followig:
Aggregate CSS files
Aggregate JavaScript files

Press [Save Configuration]

It's a band-aid.

I searched this forum for "Aggregate CSS files" just to make sure that it has not been covered already.
As you say this is already an old thread and mention that your solution it just for a temporary fix. But as of Drupal 8.7.8 these temporary fix is not needed in my case (Drupal Core Downloaded from the site, not using the auto-install script).

jppcrio2

Reaction score
As you say this is already an old thread and mention that your solution it just for a temporary fix. But as of Drupal 8.7.8 these temporary fix is not needed in my case (Drupal Core Downloaded from the site, not using the auto-install script).

Thanks for the heads up.
I just upgraded to Drupal 8.8.5, and I was able to undo that band-aid.