Good domain registrar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcg

Reaction score
Well the domain registrar with my domains in closing down, so I’ve got to transfer them elsewhere.

The only thing I need from a registrar is that handles .com and .co.uk domains and will let me change the nameservers to point at x10 nameserver.

The current registrar (Lycos) is trying to get me to switch over to strato-hosting, but I’ve been reading many poor reviews of them, so I’m not instantly won over.

As there seem to be so very many to choose from, I would appreciate anybodies experience / recommendations :lockd:

Thanks

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I would recommend easyDNS.

westcg

Reaction score
xav0989 thanks for the reply.

easyDNS do have excellent reviews everywhere I've looked and their .com pricing is competitive, however the only downside seems to be they are not 'accepting .co.uk domain transfers' (encountered on their site when trying to add my .co.uk domain).

...so the search continues.

Reaction score
123-reg.co.uk
godaddy.com < I've just registered a new domain there.
Moniker.com < My other domain was registered there.

Hope this helps somewhat!

hcse26

Reaction score
I recommend NameCheap.com. Good registrar that's powered by eNom.

They give out Whois Guard free for the first year.

They also currently give Free Positive SSL certificates with every new domains.

zen-r

Reaction score
Well the domain registrar with my domains in closing down, so I’ve got to transfer them elsewhere...... I would appreciate anybodies experience / recommendations :lockd:

Thanks

Tried & tested ; www.daily.co.uk -cheap, great customer service, free transfers, good web interface.

Free .co.uk for 1 year, but with a small catch www.ovh.co.uk (see x10 thread for info here; http://forums.x10hosting.com/ads-offers/85043-free-co-cc-domain-6.html#post508127 )

Hope this helps.

ranjeet

Reaction score
Tell any other which has .in support because the one i want is available only in .in domain.......

davearonson

Reaction score
I use godaddy.com, but friends of mine have recommended gandi.net. Both of these have .co.uk (dunno about accepting xfrs), but not .in.

-Dave

nimd4

Reaction score
godaddy.com
I don't mean to pick on you recommendation, but the thing with many of these registrars is that if you have a lot of hits, visits, whatever - then - when your lease expires, they will park your domain and ask for a much higher price than what it is initially. I had to wait for like a year, until my domain name became available again, or pay something like $50 for it, instead of like $3, if I remember correctly; That was with GoDaddy, specifically (& some other company parked it, to make things worse; Go figure!). That's one of the caveats.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
....they will park your domain and ask for a much higher price than what it is initially. I had to wait for like a year, until my domain name became available again....

Ah... the time-honoured cyber-squatting & extortion racket.

Why didn't you just renew your domain before it expired? Surely you could have avoided those problems if you had. :dunno:

nimd4

Reaction score
It kinda caught me by surprise, I guess. Previously I had no idea that someone will intentionally hijack it (and it won't be like someone I know :)).

Plus, I didn't know things like

However, you have no right to violate trademark law, or ignore your Registration Agreement, or engage in cybersquatting just because you registered the name first.
don't apply to the Chinese (just j/k - unfortunately it's true though); But seriously, Go***** must like have a subsidiary, or something, in no-man's-land to whom they sell info... or whatever. How they keep it legal escapes me, but it must be good money right? o.0

davearonson

Reaction score
It kinda caught me by surprise, I guess.
So use auto-renew. Or put a reminder on your calendar. Or pounce on multi-year renewal when they have a sale. Sounds like you weren't paying as much attention as an active domain deserves....:sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.