Good new idea! (so what do YOU think?)

mobstermind61

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe having a featured website top 5 in the index, this would include the top 5 weekly top posters in order from 1 to 5, and the far left user or number one would lets say have 200 posts during that week and he or she gets featured for a full week because that person had the most, 2nd place lets say has 150 posts that week and he or she would get featured for a full 3 days and so on all the way to the last one, number 5 position to the right side. Staff can make up the order and rules of how this can be done. Each member would have to sign up for the program because not everyone here has a website or web hosting. It would be a great way for people to want to post more, know that the more they post good content the more there website will be featured on the index page. The top 5 would be featured in snap shot form of there website or maybe there logo with a target="_blank" link to there website. Give me some feedback on this suggestion because I really feel this is a rock solid one.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do a featured site(s), I'm just not sure the best way to do it. I'm hesitant to require posting for anything as it encourages people to spam to get their post counts up. I was thinking of maybe doing a vote type system like vbulletin.org does (over on their left hand side).

mobstermind61

Reaction score
I've always wanted to do a featured site(s), I'm just not sure the best way to do it. I'm hesitant to require posting for anything as it encourages people to spam to get their post counts up. I was thinking of maybe doing a vote type system like vbulletin.org does (over on their left hand side).

Voting would also be a task to create because users here can create multiple account so on the flip side of that idea you just brought to light would also kinda have the same effect, so if you think about it then that person will create account after account after account just so he can vote on his own website. Vbulletin, Mybb etc all have IP blocking for a set number of sign ups, but they don't always account for the proxies and people cracking into unsecured networks so they have a changed IP address, so there is really no way IP addresses can be blocked from doing so. I had this issue with one of my old forums before so that is why I brought that to attention. If you can find out a way to block proxies, well then right there is half the battle.

I was thinking maybe having a sort of security feature for each user signing up for the featured website program, how about this? There is hundreds of ways to assure pure content, but the best one by far would be the credit card, now when I say credit card, cards are issued to 1 account holder only, there name is on there card, so if they type in a false name for there card or false details they will be unable to sign up for the program, the card has to be valid, cards are linked to the name of the card holder, so have them sign up with card holder info, just for security purposes. This will in turn give you the full name of the person and you have there card info, so if they try to create another account you would have there card holder name and there card info, in turn if they put in another card then they would have to put in there name again, and the system wont allow it because that name is linked to another account so to speak. So I think its flawless, and if by chance for some reason you cant connect the card number to the card holders real name, well how many credit cards can the card holder actually own, so really the system will still work 98% I notice lots of websites use credit card info for trails and age verifications so I dont see why this cant work. Tell me what you think?

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
I disagree with the idea of using credit cards. It would unfairly leave out people that don't have credit cards, but a valid site to enter. I also disagree with keeping credit card info in the system just to verify a real name, because you are not buying anything to enter a contest. There's no reason to use credit cards, and it can only end badly to do so.

mobstermind61

Reaction score
I disagree with the idea of using credit cards. It would unfairly leave out people that don't have credit cards, but a valid site to enter. I also disagree with keeping credit card info in the system just to verify a real name, because you are not buying anything to enter a contest. There's no reason to use credit cards, and it can only end badly to do so.

That idea was a suggestion of preventing user from creating fake accounts just so they could cast a vote for themselves, but I do see your point on how not everyone having the privilege to take part in the program. There is only one real way this can be done and its by making the members that sign up for the program to sign a website removal agreement if they spam the forums to win, so now I am back tracking to the top posters idea I mentioned at the start of this thread. So by the users signing up for the post to be featured program they must agree to the terms, if they spam there free hosting account will be terminated. The pole idea is also a great idea but really there is just hardly any way to make it secure enough that members are not creating a million accounts just to cast votes on themselves.

any other suggestions?

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
The pole idea is also a great idea but really there is just hardly any way to make it secure enough that members are not creating a million accounts just to cast votes on themselves.

any other suggestions?

One way would be to actually check the IP of the user and also check the user is not using a known proxy like the free hosting signups do.