good or bad deesign?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Drop the grey/black alternating diagonal line background for sure - the rest of it I can see being there, but I'm not an expert on what does/doesn't look good.

The background's giving me a headache though (nothing personal, it just seems more...Vibrant than it should be)

kultura

Reaction score
If you offer web design I recommend doing this site all over again. Web design is very competitive and people will shop around. My recommendation is for you to look around and see what others are doing. As web designers we might sometimes make the mistake of designing what we personally like but we must remember that we design for others not ourselves. Check out my site www.jcm-design.com look at the colors. Live colors attract and make people look around your site longer and eventually buy. Good luck with designing.
Also you should do some reading and check out tutorials online.

hexxen

Reaction score
am no expert either, but i would have much thinner alternating lines

cairoboy

Reaction score
I agree with others here. the diagonal stripe should be a lot thinner if you have to use it (some might say its a little last year, remember web design is very competitive and designers are constantly updating their own sites to look current).

tonykgv

Reaction score
One thing you might do when you look at other sites to get ideas is to note how most sites are lighter and cleaner. Try looking at the sample sites at www.dreamtemplate.com. There is a big range of different types, but look for why you think they are good and do the same thing with yours.

sunils

Reaction score
The header has a good design. the background is fine. But the menus aren't much worth there. Try to redo the menu part.

kennbona

Reaction score
It's not about the thin/thick lines.. it's all about contrast.. the greater the contrast between the lines ,the harder it is on the eyes. you must create something that is smooth and simple. if you must still use those lines, try making them closer to eachother "color wise" either darken the gray lines or lighten the gray lines. it should look better and easier on the eyes then,.. i think you ahve too much black on the site try using some more colour to add depth to it.. The content area where u have "text" is like a button that has been pressed since uve added that shaddow next to the right black coloumn, i suggest getting rid of that. the menu looks simple, i personally dont mind a simple menu but some ppl like some eyecandy 3D bar button menu or something.

Search for some tutorials about making Custom themes or just look around on the net there are lots of good looking websites out there. borrow some ideas ;-) but be creative dont steal. Having your own method of design is better than ripping it off from some other web designer.

Hope this helps
Edit:
either darken the gray lines or lighten the gray lines.

small mistake there.. i meant Darken the gray lines or lighten the BLACK lines

Last edited:

hezuo

Reaction score
i like it, but you should add some lorep ipsum text to see how the page would look with content

mattura

Reaction score
It's not bad. It depends on your market though. Those looking for web design want to see a site that appeals to a similar market to their target market.
If you are looking to provide web design services to companies, you need everything to be clear and professional. Black on white in general. If you are looking to design more personal websites, or for a band etc, then you need to focus on looking attractive (the website, not yourself!), and keeping up with the latest web fashion. I think your site would currently appeal to the latter market more.