Good Web Design

eleifsp

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a tutorial online on designing a user-friendly website? I know most HTML and am learning things like CSS and SQL, but I always make mistakes when designing a website. For instance, on old websites I would make a color scheme that would probably make people not want to go to my website again (who would want to go to a white-on-black website then go to Google... It hurts pretty badly...)

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a pretty good web design tut that I use. You need photoshop though

Conor

Reaction score
I would advise books. Go to Chapters, you'll find loads of books specifically on this topic.

Jober68

Reaction score
w3 schools is good also hypergurl has some neat things on designing. Also, there's a lot of people out there who devote much of their time to doing just this if your just looking for color scheme idea's I'd recommend maybe checking out invisionize and looking at some forum skins and seeing what skins get a lot of downloads and is used a lot to determine what color scheme people are most attracted to.

alabaster

Reaction score
That colorjack site is the most useful site I've seen in a long time. Thanks!

jensen

Reaction score
You're most welcome. It's been one of the most used site when I'm working on a new website.

Sohail

Reaction score
You should google it using keywords, try this - tutorial user friendly website. You should het loads of results :)

Mooseman

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a tutorial online on designing a user-friendly website?

First of all, you need a draft/plan on the main framework.Whats your intention with the website?
Messageboard, ecommerse, personal website etc.
Sidebars or not, navigation bars, dropdownmenues,flash/animation and such.
Just use a plain sheet of paper drawing what you have in your mind.
Do not overload the page from the start, make it simple first.

As a small tip, red and green are hard as background colors, also background photos.
Plain color or tiled backgrounds works the best.

What you may think is cool, others may hate, so too much nifty scripts is a no-no, so is also background music.

I suggest you make a main draft, come back here and ask for tips/guidance.
I'll be happy to help when I have the time ;)