Google, why is it down?

ellescuba27

Reaction score
Seriously? Google? It's not just me... isup.me reports that Google is down on both .ca and .com . But so many people use it! And Google Chrome is getting all bogged down because of it. Because it's my home page, if I open a new tab I must wait for it to say "The connection was inetrrupted" (which takes 30 or so seconds) and then go to another page, or use lousy IE which only works because it doesn't. What about embed Google +1 , Youtube videos , Embed Google Maps, Adsense, Analaytics, we have to wait for those for 30 seconds too. Which means that About every webpage takes around 30-60-90 seconds loading Google content first. Nobody guessed it would come down, so you can't blame them. But surprisingly, my Google Drive still shows working (silly software, use Dropbox instead).
Now you might say "Maybe a hacker got into Google and shut it down". For one thing, Google is one of the hardest sites on the web to hack. I have a friend who knows a hacker and says Google is the only site he knows he hasn't been able to hack into, he even has some hacking blog. So, we can pretty much check that off the list. I do hope that, through another service maybe, Google can report this. If you find out that they did, could you please tell me (pretty please with a cherry on top)?
In the meantime, you could use:
Bing - bing.ca - still online, has a map
Yahoo - yahoo.ca - Still working quite well, even
Altavista - altavista.ca - A partner with Yahoo, still working

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm not having any issues connecting to google. You could try running a tracert/traceroute on the domain that's not loading and seeing where the connection drops.

ellescuba27

Reaction score
Hmm, no problems in Washington USA? I live in Canada (why I use the .ca ) and I guess isup.me must be there too if that's the case. I could try a traceroute - is there any service or programI could use to do that? I know what you are talking about and have seen it before...

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Google working for me.

Can't find anything about an outage.

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're running on windows, you can use command prompt. Just load that up, then type 'tracert domain.com'

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I was having issues earlier today but it turns out there was something else going on with my networking equipment - most of the Internet was unavailable!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I haven't had a problem with Google all day (been online from about 4:30 AM EDT until now, so there's only be nighthawks and early-rising Newfs ahead of me), and I'm in Canada and using the .ca URLs.

ellescuba27

Reaction score
Yes, it was down for me 7:00am Mountain Daylight Time but went back on for me a couple hours later. Strange!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't noticed Google going down. Perhaps it was just a problem with your regional POP which the website testing website you used could also feed out of? I know Google's been doing a tons of work to their network to boost capacity, so unless it was only google.com that was not responding but yet something like youtube.com still worked, I bet ya it was just a POP issue or a transit provider which Google uses having an issue.