Google's New Favicon

Scott B

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that Google has a new favicon?
favicon.ico

I personally do not understand why they did this. Unless there are some changes coming to Google, the new favicon mismatches the logo and just causes more confusion.

Hauzer

Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed this at the beginning of the week? It's somewhat similar to Yahoo!'s now in my opinion but I still would prefer the Yahoo! Favicon but Google is still the best search engine.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
I quite like Googles new icon, and I always notice it more then the old one, maybe thats just cos its a change...

Alex

Daniel S

Reaction score
I like the new favicon if you go to googles homepage their logo has now changed (on the uk version anyway.)

Last edited:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with the fact it causes unnecessary confusion. Maybe they're planning to escape their current ugly look and go for a more contemporary one, it's about time if they are.

Otherwise it's just weird and I'd be tempted to say Google's staff are all losing it from reading too much code.

-Luke.

Scott B

Reaction score
i like the new favicon if you go to googles homepage their logo has now changed (on the uk version anyway.)
No apparently its "Charles Rennie Mackintosh's" birthday (thats why there's a special logo, whoever that is)

VPmase

Reaction score
The google banner is back to normal.
I like the new favicon. I agree that it doesn't make the logo, but it still looks good.

ASPX.King

Reaction score
the new favicon looks much better than the old one, i like it now. the old one was ugly

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I like the new icon. I think it looks much nicer and more modern than their old one.
I've also noticed that they seem to have a different logo each day, today it is Charles Rennie Mackintosh's birthday, what will it be tomorrow ... I like that fact that do this, because you can learn interesting things. But they seem to have too many of them.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I like the random logos, looks much better and brightens the site up a little if you need to use it a lot. I still don't understand why they've changed their favicon and not their logo though, I think the logo is way uglier than their old favicon personally. And it does confuse people a little too.

-Luke.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Actually their Favicon matches their logo. The lowercase g is from the fourth letter in Google. It is blue, lowercase so I don't see why it doesn't match. I like it much better.
:)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I noticed their new favicon. It looks a lot nicer from their old one which was just a G with a colorful block around it I think.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
old favicon is better for me.

I must agree. I see what the one poster above me means about the lowercase g, but it's not their signature logo is it? It seems stupid to me, but there we go. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion.

-Luke.

Scott B

Reaction score
Yeah, it makes more since to use the first letter in their logo than one in the middle

Last edited:

Jordan C

Reaction score
Well, I think the whole Google needs to redo everything, it's old white look is kinda boring, although it is fast and easy to load.

The favicon makes me wounder if they will change the rest of the site, but it would be hard to shut the site down for changes, maybe thats why they can only change small things like favicons once every few years

Scott B

Reaction score
Well, I think the whole Google needs to redo everything, it's old white look is kinda boring, although it is fast and easy to load.
Yeah, I completely agree

ChristaHelmOnline

Reaction score
I thought I was going crazy for a second when it changed... I don't really care for it, seems like a little crappy attempt at an icon but whatever... as long as Google itself doesn't go all crappy it'll be okay.
Edit:
Completely agree. It would be great if they made things look a little more professional (for lack of a better word - I am tired. LOL) but not overdo it to the point that it slows it down.

Last edited:

tittat

Reaction score
The new Google logo is ok,but i love that old ugly one. :)