got the site, need the bandwidth

2hounds

Reaction score
hey y'all

name's JC, I used to be big into streaming media in the late 90's, now I live in the boondocks and don't get much time to play on the web since I don't have high speed - i'm on 56k. anyhoo, new to the site but not to the whole web game. just haven't been exposed to any new technology in like five years so...

look forward to chillin' on the forums

later

-j
kc9cqj (at) gmail (dot) com

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Welcome to x10Hosting JC. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Synkc

Reaction score
Hey, welcome to x10Hosting! I hope your enjoy your time with us, and good luck with your website. :)

srmece

Reaction score
what bandwidth actually means? I,m having a free account. Please help. With 10000mb bandwidth,how many hits one should expect
?

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
what bandwidth actually means? I,m having a free account. Please help. With 10000mb bandwidth,how many hits one should expect
?
It is unlikely that you will ever get close to the bandwidth limit unless there are a lot of large images and you get a awful lot of visitor.

Brayden

Reaction score
You will have to have heaps of users and videos or music or very very large pictures to break the bandwidth limit.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Welcome to x10 2hounds! You'd have to, as stated have some large videos on your site or images hosted on your site's server space to break the 10GB bandwidth limit.

By the way, if you are tired of the slow speed of dial-up, you can if you are willing to pay a sum of money, deal with the 900ms+ latency on the uplink and possibly deal with a daily FAP, can get satellite internet. The downloads of course will be nice, while having a little jitter on uploads, but if you're not doing anything big, the satellite link will be a lot slower than dial-up because of the uplink latency.

Last edited:

2hounds

Reaction score
heh.

i meant the bandwidth to play on the web, not the bandwidth for the site :)

i almost had uverse but I'm 1000 extra feet from the box with 90% capacity. better luck later, I guess

-J

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
heh.

i meant the bandwidth to play on the web, not the bandwidth for the site :)

i almost had uverse but I'm 1000 extra feet from the box with 90% capacity. better luck later, I guess

-J

What a bummer, so I guess AT&T doesn't have ADSL out where you are either? The problem with UVerse is not the fact that it's DSL, but the fact that VDSL is fairly new technology which AT&T is using to power UVerse. You get very nice speeds when you're close to the box, but as soon as you break 1,000 feet of that box in wire, the speeds slow down rapidly, hence why you've probably seen lots of those boxes called VRADS or DSLAMs around a lot in UVerse areas. VDSL2 I heard was supposed to fix this, but that's in testing I think. I have Verizon DSL here running at 7.1Mbps on the download, upload is 1.5Mbps tested (got that tweaked) and they are saying I'm going to be able to start expecting FiOS rollout soon where I am. Slowest I'll get from FiOS is 10Mbps/2Mbps and the fastest right now is 50Mbps/20Mbps, maybe higher if cable with DOCSIS 3.0 gets competitive. If you have ever visited a site called Broadband Reports or DSL Reports (both sites are the same place, just different names), a lot of people in the news comments and in the AT&T forum have thought it'd be best for AT&T despite their large territory compared to Verizon and the other guys to do FTTH/FTTP (Fiber to the Home/Fiber to the Premesis) like Verizon is rolling out instead of using VDSL. Yeah it's a bit expensive to install ONTs, fairly cheap to lay the cabling but in the long run it pays off and gives you more room to grow than DSL could possibly ever offer. Cable, yes while it does grow, is still limited by the cable plant. Most cable plants are around 800MHz in transmission range, some are 1GHz plants though, but those are not common at all.

But if cable is out where you are, don't they have cable internet there?

EDIT: btw, if that VRAD/DSLAM that AT&T has does ADSL as well besides just UVerse, ADSL can go up to 18,000ft of wire for 768k/128k service stabally, and with ADSL2+ can go a couple hundred to a thousand or so feet farther in wire for 768k service. Of course there are a lot of things to factor in if you want to PM me about that, I can explain it to you.

Last edited: