Greetings Earthlings

quantum1

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been programming for 20+ years (25+ if you count starting in the 9th grade on a Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80). This is my first foray into public hosting. I've done some web stuff for work purposes, but this is more fun! Web development is sort of new to me, but it is a good transition from standard development into the more colorful world of severe user interaction. This is a really cool hosting service with professional software and utilities. I look forward to learning new things and interacting with intelligent and motivated people! :cool:

nyclass

Reaction score
Welcome. I just joined as well. Members seem happy, and service appears fast. Are you a physicist? =]

quantum1

Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment, but no I am not a physicist. :)

I a computer nerd (or geek, or both, not sure which). I have a B.S. degree in Computer Science with a heavy minor in Mathematics. I just love systems analysis, development, programming, etc. I have done most everything and I see the Web as a path forward for the rest of my career. I'm thinking about general purpose consulting, as one of my best abilities is linking the everyday world to the bit-level computing environment. However, with kids still in school I need benefits and so forth.

How about yourself? How did you end up at x10hosting?

nyclass

Reaction score
Hey. Very cool. Sounds like you like what you do, and that's always refreshing to see.

I'm an astronomer. Just about to get my MS physics. Been in school all my life (K-grad) and ready to do some real work/observing!

I ended up here after my5gb hosting shut down their free domain hosting without even so much as a warning. Now, I'm looking for a reliable free host to hold my relic domains.

quantum1

Reaction score
Dude, you are out of control! :)
I'm into astronomy but have not yet purchased a telescope. A while back I bought some binoculars and have been exploring with those. Without equipment I can pick out the Andromeda galaxy, Perseus double cluster, etc. I hope to buy a telescope this Christmas. I am leaning toward either a 8 to 12 inch Dobsonian for light gathering, or a Mak for portability and quality. Since Maks are expensive I may opt for the Dob. What do you recommend?

quantum1

Reaction score
Thank you Smith6612! This is one of the most refreshing services I've seen in a while.

maidenforce19

Reaction score
Hey man :biggrin: I just joined as well and have found this service to be more than useful.

hathehariken

Reaction score
welcome all, i am relatively new here too.

we boffins tend to stick together, eh?
what they say, better judgement and all that bull.
whatever others say, x10 is the best there is for us.

Ark!

quantum1

Reaction score
I must say that this is one of the best social sites as well as technical. It seems that web development brings in all kinds of people and careers. That is great because you get to meet so many different people from all over the world, who have different ideas on how to do the same stuff. It is a wonderful learning environment. I've been in the software development world for almost thirty years now (20 since graduation from college in 1989, and 10 more if you count starting in 1979 in the ninth grade on a Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80). Even with the experience of doing almost everything in all kinds of software development, systems analysis and design, systems management and database development and administration, I still find joy in learning new stuff. This hosting service and the many customers who use it are the coolest source of knowledge about web development, because not everyone is an expert in all things, but everyone here is actively working on all kinds of web related services. Since it is such a good mixture of people you get the experience of experts in various parts of the field, plus the freshness of folks fairly new to the web or development in general. It all makes for a feeling of being on the edge of something new and exciting.

<forestgumpvoice>And that&apos;s all I have to say about that.</forestgumpvoice>

And on a side note, I saw the coolest t-shirt the other day. On the front of the shirt it said "<geek>" and on the back it said "</geek>".