Gulf Oil Spill Message Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

a689270a

Reaction score
Good Morning All !!! - from the soon-to-be oil covered West Coast of sunny Florida. :(

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I need to have what, in the olden days of those internets, we called a "Message Board" to facilitate the rescue and recovery of seabirds and aquatic life that will need immediate care as this 250,000 gallon-a-day slick moves toward our irreplaceable coastline.

Our site http://www.tenderbascules.x10hosting.com/index.php was initially created to provide myself and the more than 70 other bridgetenders here in Pinellas County a portal to both local and international information as we sit in tireless vigilance on the 9 drawbridges over our Inter-Coastal Waterway.

I guess the new teminology would be "Forum", kinda like this, eh?, but it's more important to have the flow of information IN instead of Interactive --- if that would simplify things.

We've only been "live" with x10hosting for a few weeks, but I haven't been able to uncover what I'm looking for in any of the "add-ons" offered by the Free Hosting.

Is there something out there that we could use? "Free" would be the operative word.

Again, thanks in advance for any help.....and do keep us in your prayers.......Drill, Baby, Drill.:mad:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
If you go to cPanel you should see an icon for either Softaculous or Fantastico (or both) near the bottom in 'Services/Software'

Blog type software would be WordPress
BulletinBoard/forum phpBB or SMF

All free. Installation is simple using the installers. You can check out the individual software's homesite to see screenshots, etc.

okidoki

Reaction score
Thank you SOOOO much, I'll try it right now, BTW, how Big is a Small DISH ?

okidoki

Reaction score
Help me descalzo if you could please. I downloaded your recommended phpbb to a subdirectory of mine /board. I AM a senile old fart but for the life of me I can't find the damn thing to put on my page http://www.tenderbascules.x10hosting.com/index.php in that big 'ol bottom right corner....any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
What was directory you installed it in?
If you forgot, go to the File Manager.
(senile old fart?? do you remember B&W TV and rotary phones?)

okidoki

Reaction score
descalzo, yeah yeah lemme tellya about B&W.... I used to WAIT for the NEW I Love Lucy shows
thanks for your patience today.

It appears I've downloaded phpbb to : home/okidoki/public_html but that's as intelligent as I can get about it. There doesn't seem to be any "setup.exe" files and I'm thinking I'm just going to place a link on my homepage http://www.tenderbascules.x10hosting.com/index.php to open this forum/board in a new window but really don't have a clue......... thanks

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you download or use one of the installers in cPanel?

okidoki

Reaction score
descalzo, sorry man, no clue, everything that happened more than 8 hours ago I have to delete because of VERY limited storage capacity in this pre-X86 cranium. If ya held a gun to my head I couldn't tell ya what I had for breakfast today so........should I "re-do" the download and if you think I should.....any recommendations for the best way to handle it??

okidoki

Reaction score
descalzo, my thanks. It took redownloading and another pot of coffee, but it works,
http://tenderbascules.x10hosting.com/board/ Thanks to your patience. Please feel free to visit and post anytime, my friend. Now off to the work at hand, and it's gonna get real ugly, real fast cuz the weather's deteriorating rapidly. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.