Hard drive won't get power

skeets

Reaction score
Hi folks, I did a very dumb thing yesterday while trying to install a hard drive on a new computer. I forgot to turn the power off and plugged the power supply into the drive while the computer was still on.

Sure enough, the computer didn't like this and shut off immediately. The mobo and everything seems to be fine. Everything works but the hard drive. It won't turn on when I connect the power supply now.

I think the DRIVE is fine, it's just its power outlet that is shot. Is there any way to repair this or recover the data without spending hundreds of dollars?

Thanks,
skeets

mattura

Reaction score
Have you tried any other power connectors (that fit)? If they don't work, but do in another piece of hardware (like CD drive, 2nd hard drive), then your hard drive is broken.

vol7ron

Reaction score
Your new HD is probably broken --- you might want to see if you can get a return, even though you made a BADDD mistake

hamsn

Reaction score
its problem with ur drive,
use the same connector to power up ur other drive, this wil prove wats wrong, the connector or the HDD
if its HDD
then sure its the circuit board, dont worry data will be safe
board is the externally visible IC

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If you have an old drive laying around, you might want to try swapping the chip on the HDD out for that older one to see if it'll work, takes a bit of work but only need to screw it off and unplug cables. Not sure if it will be possible to do this, but if it's possible, it should run long enough to get the data off of it. If it's not the drive, the PSU is probably whacked, but since the computer runs, the 12v rail seems fine. If you saw a spark when you did this then you probably introduced a very large static charge to the drive and it's probably as good as shot anyways. Might've been a large enough spark to write 0's to the drive :p (I'm kidding on this sentence lol).

EDIT: It wasn't clear to me if your MASTER drive is shot, or if a new drive going into SLAVE is shot. Mind telling me your setup or what you were doing?

Last edited:

toofani

Reaction score
My guess is that you were trying to install the HDD and keep it on the cabinet.so it got shot..? Hamsn is right your data is safe..you should first check connector to power up your other drive..if its ok..then go for the IC