Has anyone tried out the Mozilla plugins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthiel

Reaction score
I've been wondering if the Seamonkey, Thunderbird, and Sunbird add-ons/plugins are worth downloading. I'm not exactly sure what they do, but Thunderbird adds new appearances, I guess. I use the default appearance. Though, has anyone downloaded them? Worth getting? Tell me, please.

Swiblet

Reaction score
I'm downloading it right now =P

~~Ben
Edit:
Okie, I just tried out Thunderbird. It is like Microsoft Outlook, but watered down. I tried to use it with my Yahoo account it it would not connect to it. I didn't like it at all. The other two programs you mentioned, I found no use for, so I didn't download them.

~~Ben

Last edited:

Arthiel

Reaction score
Right. So, they're useless. Thanks. This can be closed, unless any one else has another opinion.​

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Seamonkey is the direct successor of Mozilla so it has a web browser like Firefox, a mail client like thunderbird and a few other things (HTML editor, IRC chat) all in one. It can be useful if you want all your programs in one and that can interact between them.

As for thunderbird, it is a good mail program as long as you don't have outlook.

And I've never used Sunbird but it is a calendar so if you use outlook I guess you don't need it but for other people it's probably nice.

Slothie

Reaction score
No duh you can't connect to yahoo... Free yahoo accounts have no pop/imap support :p

warlordste

Reaction score
i tryed loads of firefox plugins all because of boredom in college :p

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
The reason Ben couldn't connect to yahoo was because as Slothie pointed out free accounts no longer support POP and IMAP....But Thunderbird is good better than outlook...

alfren

Reaction score
yup i've tried it... my favorite plugins are ai roboform, megaupload plugin, chatzilla..... ^_^ i'm also using mozilla tunderbird for my mails....

shaunak

Reaction score
I tried it but it dosnt "feel" well integrated, not as well as the opera inbuilt client anyway.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I currently use Chatzilla, Foxy Tunes, Downthemall, Video Downloader etc They come in pretty handy. I especially like the foxy tunes one...:)

ewarung

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in getting their free yahoo or hotmail account working with Thunderbird(pop mail only), you will need to install addons which you can get from http://webmail.mozdev.org/installation.html

-from the above link download web-mail plus your email service provider (eg hotmail or yahoo).

-In thunderbird just click on tools >add-ons and point to the directory of the file you downloaded to install your add-ons..

!!!IMPORTANT!!!, when you create your account in thunderbird, under account settings-> server setting, make sure you have checked "leave messages on server" and "until I delete them" before you sign in to your account from thunderbird. Otherwise all you mail will be downloaded to your hard drive and removed from your yahoo and hotmail account.

you will also need to setup your smtp setting which you can find in the server settings from the webmail link..

Hope this helps..

cashguy

Reaction score
Right. So, they're useless. Thanks. This can be closed, unless any one else has another opinion.​
Useless? Thunderbird is a powerful replacement for Outlook. So if you are a student or don't have the budget to support Outlook, just try it out. I cannot think of any feature that thunderbird doesn't have, and outlook does. I would dare say that the spam options are a lot better. I would just hope that the we could have google-like labelling features in Thunderbird, instead of the outlook-like folders!!

Also, you should really try to encourage all Open Source software and discourage the use of microsoft and other monopolistic companies.

Evocation

Reaction score
I use thunderbird, while office outlook is better if you want a bloated all i none organiser that just is, thunderbird is smaller but can use pluggins to do what outlook does.
Thunderbird surports easy use of googlemail.
I try to keep my programs light, only adds I've installed is addblock plus, download bars, and minimise to tray for thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.