Have u ever use such system

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
I have went to my clients house to fix his computer, to find that his on-board soundcard that " cannot be used without the properly speakers that comes package with the entire computer".

Next thing, bought a creative sound card, fixed into the PCI slots, it detected the new hardware soundcard, able to install the drivers of the soundcard, went to multimedia, there's no settings to allow the soundcard to play, its install and it cannot be play.

Method 1,

Go to system properties, Disable to on-board soundcard, restart the computer, not working, still not soundcard avaliable to be set at the multimedia settings.

Method 2,

Try to press F1 , F2 , enter , delete keyboard buttons, cannot even access into Bios Settings to disable the soundcard from there. This is weird right, I could never see such computer still exist. anyone know the solutions ???

Method3

I pack my kit and apologized to that clients that I am able to help him since his computer is not friendly to me refuse to let me enter into Bios.

the end

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
To get into bios some systems will have you press a combonation of keys at the same time like : alt + f1 or something. Also f11 sometimes works to. I suggest getting the brand name of the computer you are working on, or the name of the mother board and google it to find the specs on the board or the homepage for the motherboard. This should tell you how to get to cmos or the bios whatever you want to call it. When I go to a customers house to fix a computer I make sure there IS internet access close to me, if not on the computer I am working on. This way any problems I have can be easily sorted out with the help of the net.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
this is a funny part,

beginning of booting..... no instruction given to let you enter and keys even combination.

If you use any combination or special key this will appear " error keyboard " then it will straight away go to windows 98 and start loading the files and got to windows.

Its a old model computer Pent II 300MHZ compaq 5260 which like so sensitive that you can only use back its hardware component in order for it to work but then is there such desktop have this type of security function >????? weird huh

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
There has to be away into the bios, have you googled the main board to see what you come up with ?

Chris

Reaction score
What type of computer is this? Desktop, Notebook, Tablet PC, etc.? Also can you give me more information on the brand, model number (compaq 5260?), etc.

Neuromancer

Reaction score
If you let us know the brand we can tell you what button to press to get.

Also on that old of a PC you may have problems adding devices to PCI slots.. only so many resources for the computer to use.

I have an old ibm aptiva 450MHz CPU (acer v75m mobo) that cant handle sound card and video card in the PCI slots...

Unless they have no intention of viewing sites with animation flash or otherwise, I would recommend to them they get a more moderne compuer. You can get them pretty cheap now. If you are talented enough you can upgrade there exsisting PC with a slightly more moern mobo CPU... this will give you more success with future upgrades.

JMHO

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Compaq Presario 5260

where Desktop name is : Presario
model no. : 5260

is the computer my clients is using, the boot screen starting off with "Compaq", anyone noe the combination to enter its bios as they never state in their booting process.

The computer was given by someone with all the drivers included installed in the pc. So no manuals avaliable for it

Neuromancer

Reaction score
press f10

(edit: heh heh some how I missed that you mentioned it wasa presario 5260 in your first post :blushing: )

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
If f10 doesnt work f11 should. I used to have an old compaq and thats the way I got into my bios.

Neuromancer

Reaction score
bigguy said:
If f10 doesnt work f11 should. I used to have an old compaq and thats the way I got into my bios.

According to the user manual for that model it was f1 or f10 since he said he tried f1 that leaves f10 :grin:

Still good for future refernce

common bios buttons a re del, f1, f10, f12

now we can add f11 to that list

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
My old computer was a compaq deskpro en series 350 mhz. Very small but it got the job done. Thats going back a couple years to though. :)

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
I not sure, I press all the f 's buttons but none is allowing me to enter its bios is there any other combination