Have you heard of Adobe Air

Sohail

Reaction score
Hello, has anyone here heard of Adobe's new - Air. It's like a more advanced version of flash and it looks really cool too, i don't think i would be able to purchase it though because of the price so i think i'll be staying with Flash 8 pro, but what do you all think? For those of you that don't know what i'm talking about, i have attached an article to make things a little more easier for you to understand :).

General

What is the Adobe Integrated Runtime?

Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR) is a cross-operating system runtime being developed by Adobe that allows developers to leverage their existing web development skills (Flash, Flex, HTML, JavaScript, Ajax) to build and deploy rich Internet applications (RIAs) to the desktop.
How is Apollo related to Adobe AIR?

Prior to the public beta, Adobe AIR was referred to by its code name of Apollo.
Is Adobe AIR available for download?

Yes. You can download a prerelease, Beta 3 version from the Adobe AIR download page.
How to port my applications from Beta 1 to Beta 2

Please review the Beta 1 to Beta 2 migration instructions.
How to port my applications to Beta 3

Please review the release notes for changes in Beta 3 that may require updates to your application.
What type of applications does Adobe AIR target?

Adobe AIR is targeted at allowing web developers to build and deploy desktop applications using web technologies.
What types of developers is Adobe AIR targeting?

Adobe AIR is targeted at developers who are currently leveraging web technologies such as Flash, Flex, HTML, JavaScript, and Ajax techniques to build and deploy rich Internet applications.
Is Adobe AIR free (as in beer)?

Yes. Adobe AIR will be free (similar to Flash Player and Adobe Reader).
Is the Adobe AIR SDK free (as in beer)?

Yes. The Adobe AIR SDK will be free for developers to download and use (similar to the Flex SDK).
When will Adobe AIR be released?

You can download Adobe AIR Beta 3 today from the Adobe AIR Download Page
We are currently targeting the beginning of 2008 for the release of Adobe AIR 1.0.
What platforms does Adobe AIR 1.0 target?

Adobe AIR 1.0 will be supported on Windows and OS X.
Does Adobe AIR support Linux?

Adobe AIR 1.0 will not be available on Linux. We plan to release Linux support shortly after the 1.0. release.
While we had originally planned to support Linux in the 1.0 timeframe, we have had to wait on the core Flash Player's support for Linux to be finalized.
What are the supported operating systems for the Adobe AIR Beta?

Adobe AIR Beta 3 supports:
  • Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP2, and Windows Vista Home and Ultimate Edition
  • Mac OS 10.4.7 and above (Intel and PowerPC). Adobe AIR Beta 3 adds support for Mac OS X Leopard.
For additional information, please see the Adobe AIR Beta 3 release notes.
Does Adobe AIR support mobile devices?

Although Adobe AIR 1.0 will not be available on mobile devices, Adobe AIR uses technologies that run on mobile devices.
The Adobe AIR roadmap includes plans for enabling developers to deploy AIR applications using the same tools, servers, and programming models across desktop and mobile devices.
For more information on the Adobe mobile platform please refer to the | Adobe Mobile Experience Suite FAQ.
What are some of the new features included in Adobe AIR Beta 3?

The following new features were introduced in Adobe AIR Beta 3.
  • Run at start-up/log-in.
  • Web Launcher
  • H.264 video
  • Advanced Audio Coding (AAC).
  • Full Screen Hardware acceleration.
  • Flash within HTML
  • Automatic runtime updates
  • Thawte (http://www.thawte.com/) offers an Adobe AIR developer certificate
  • Support for the Mac OSX Leopard operating system.
Finally, no API changes are expected between Adobe AIR Beta 3 and Adobe AIR 1.0.
What were some of the features included in Adobe AIR Beta 2?

In Beta 2, we are unveiling several new features:
  • System Tray icon/Dock Bar Bounce
  • Synchronous database API
  • Native menus
  • Drag and drop enhancements including bitmap support
  • Windowing improvements such as Z-order control and enhanced
  • Activation and focus support
  • Improved Install dialog look and feel
  • Application-initiated runtime updates
  • HTML security model improvements
  • Mouse support for double-click and scroll-wheel
  • Per-machine runtime installs
  • Performance and memory enhancements
  • XSLT support
  • Support for Windows 2000
  • Hundreds of bug fixes
What were some of the features included in Adobe AIR Beta 1?

Some of the features included in Adobe AIR Beta include, but are not limited to:
  • Mac support (OS X 10.4.8 and above (Intel and PPC)
  • Windows support (Windows XP and Windows Vista Home Premium Edition)
  • File I/O API
  • SQLite embedded database
  • All functionality within Flash Player 9, including complete network stack
  • Windowing APIs
  • Command-line tools (ADL and ADT)
  • HTML within Flash content
  • Top-level HTML applications
  • ActionScript / JavaScript Script bridging
  • Flex Builder and Flex Framework support for authoring AIR application
  • Application command-line arguments
  • Drag and Drop Support
  • Rich Clipboard Access
  • Native Menu API (Mac only in beta)
  • Service Connectivity API
  • File Type Association
  • Application icons
  • PDF Support
Is Adobe AIR a web browser?

No. Adobe AIR is a cross-operating system runtime that runs outside of the browser.
Though theoretically you could build a web browser on top of Adobe AIR, most developers are building desktop applications.
What is the size for Adobe AIR?

The current size for Adobe AIR is just over 10 megabytes. It is important to note that the runtime only needs to be downloaded once

[FONT=geneva,][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] 1) AIR (formerly "Apollo") is to the desktop what Flash Player is to the web browser. That is, you write content for AIR, compile it, and then people can download it and run it like a regular desktop application. And, yes, this means that you now have access to desktop-side faculties, such as the filesystem.

2) One chief difference between AIR and other dev tools is that you can use a mixture of HTML, XML, Javascript, Actionscript, Flex, etc. You're not limited to the script libraries that Adobe provides, either. Jack Slocum's Ext library, for example, is used to create a really nifty looking Task tracking app.

3) Adobe's purpose is to create an application development platform that allows the huge community of web developers use of their already-existing skills for desktop development. A secondary purpose, of course, is to allow web apps to be brought to the desktop for offline-enabled apps... apps that update when you're connected, but are still usable (in a limited sense, like composing email using Mail offline) when you're not.

4) The fact that Adobe has put more effort into bringing this technology out in a beta form shows more interest in creating a grassroots community. Branding can come later; the hardest part is getting developers interested in using the tools.

5) AIR is cross-platform. There is a runtime for Mac and for Windows, and I'm certain that if the Linux community gets pushing, there will be one for them as well.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

East Dihh

Reaction score
I have heared of it, and thanks to your post I now know a lot more about it (how much are they paying you ;)) - Personally, I find Flash a bit of a nuisance, and a more advanced version will probably be more so, so I think I'll try to stick to good old HTML where I can. If I do need to add animated content, I will probably use GIFs.

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The whole point of AIR is to be able to use Flash etc to create desktop applications. That's all really...

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this out; this is how Apple will put Flash on the iPhone this June.
I was curious for a while until now.

crisp

Reaction score
The whole point of AIR is to be able to use Flash etc to create desktop applications. That's all really...
Agree. Kuler, available from Adobe is a good example, web connected desktop colour scheme picker built on AIR

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
It rings a bell...

But no, I don't think I've ever actually heard of it ;)

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Alex Mac, maybe you are thinking of the MacBook Air?
:biggrin:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I found out about it the day it came out. Gotta love providing tech support :D

It does look and sounds pretty cool. I'm just not ached to try it without having a public demo or something or when I find more time away from gaming/screwing with stuff/coding websites.