Have you heard of the Amazon Kindle?

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
Watch the video here:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device/dp/B000FI73MA

Just scroll down a bit to watch the video demo.

This thing looks awesome. Basically, it is a book reader the size of a paperback (but much thinner and about the same weight) that allows you to download ebooks from Amazon directly to it (9.99 for hardcovers, 6.99 and up for paperbacks). The best part is, it uses cellphone networks so you don't have to look for a wi fi hotspot, and the cost of data transmission is included so you don't have to pay monthly bills. Also, the screen is some new technology that uses ink in the screen, with no backlight, so that it is easy to read in bright weather and easy on the eyes.

I think this thing is awesome, and as soon as it comes to Canada I am picking one up (Currently only available in the US, and on a first come first serve basis (the initial product run sold out in days)). Let me know your thoughts on it,

Calvin

vickeej

Reaction score
Yeah, I just saw that today when looking at a book. It seems like a great idea, especially for students or people who need books fast. The question then becomes the availability of certain books. Still, it seems like a great idea.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I like the idea of electronic books, but apparently the screen can be hard to read, especially in bright light. The technology might have improved though since I last had a look, also with the release of OLED (organic light-emitting diode) screens coming up soon, electronic books may start to replace paper (But not for a while).

budda

Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather read the paper book then a PDF. I have issues scrolling for the information that I need, takes longer.

But, there are those that don't leave their computers, ever. Maybe this will get more of them to read a book or three that doesn't have the names Harry or Potter in the title

admael

Reaction score
I was interested in getting something like this, but at 4 bills, you'd have to be a real reading buff to pick it up.

I've owned something like this with the ink technology, it's really easy on the eyes, nothing like a monitor at all. I said the same thing, I prefer reading a paper than a PDF, but then again, there's almost no difference with the virtual ink.

I don't think they should incorporate OLED/SED into this, it'll defeat the purpose of the virtual ink. But I'm sure a simple back light will do, even tho it most likely will cut the usage time before charge in half.

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
Yeah the price is definitely a point against it, but I looked at other electronic readers (Toshiba makes one) and the price was 300-600$. I think that 400 is reasonable considering that the access fees and data transfer are included it doesn't use wifi, and you don't need to buy a memory card (most of the other alternatives required you to buy a SD card seperately and get the book from your computer). I think it is pretty darn nifty.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As nice as it is, I personally have a few objections to it. For a start, I don't the like the keyboard, the keys all look the wrong shape and I can't imagine it being particularly comfortable to use. Second, the scroll button seems strange, it's not big enough. Third and final moan, the buttons on the side don't seem to fit very well (the next and previous page buttons).

But aside from that, the price tag isn't bad at all really, if it can hold so many books and it's reasonably durable I see no problem with a higher price tag. It hopefully just means you're getting a better kit for your money.

I really like the idea of having all your stuff in one place and portable, but I'd prefer an MPEG4 player with a web browser and the ability to store HTML files on the memory card / internal storage, I'd read eBooks on it :p.

Not bad though I suppose :p
-Luke.

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi,

The sheer convenience of paper [versus the bulky inconveneince of paper and storage] are crtiical issues here. There are lots of considerations, like the volume of books you want to store and carry, compatibility between different systems and libraries, . We are very much at the early starter stage with this technology.

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
I told one of my friends about this and he made a humourous observation:

"But I do all my reading on the can."

Ouch. I know a lot of people who read in a bath or read on the toilet, and hygiene aside, if you drop this puppy in the bathtub there goes 400$ (literally) down the drain. I never thought about that, but it's a valid concern.