Having problems starting my site...

aodarmy2417

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to figure out how to use the cPanel on here. It's a little confusing and I'd like to do HTML, CSS, etc. How am I supposed to do this?

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi Brother..
This is the best place to start with.
You can still to css and html straight away from cpanel by clicking " New File".cPanel is just an interface between you and the backend core functions of the server.It is not a develpment environment.Hence study things in the following Url.

http://www.1sthostweb.com/tutorials/howtousecpanel.htm

if you Need further help,reply here.
X10 community is quite warm and people are really cool.
Regards,
VVBB

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey Hey!

Whatever you do or want to do, do it in public_html or www folder.
These folders(linked together) are the folders used for displaying your website.

Create a new file - my1stfile.htm with some html tags like
<html><body>
<h1>Hey</h1>
</body></html>

And save it and browse/view it using your domain name.

Check w3,etc for more help!

A word of caution though, if you are using "cpanel's file manger" then use www folder instead of public_html for creating new files/folder.

Also, you could use(locally) some IDE (integrated development environment) like gedit(linux) or npp(windows) if you want to.

Write back if you face any difficulty !

aodarmy2417

Reaction score
Hi, I went in and tried to do an h1 tag for an experiment and it didn't work. It had a link thingy on the site when I looked. I don't seem to be able to do any HTML in my website.

paint2010

Reaction score
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the file extension supposed to be .html, not .htm?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the file extension supposed to be .html, not .htm?

Both work, just personal preference and sometimes the configuration of the system you're using. In x10's case, both are set up to tell the browser to prepare for HTML content, so it works just fine :)

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
h1 didn't work ? link thingy? like what ?

Post your website/page address.

And, you are supposed to write it as a plain text not as rich text(rtf, doc,docx) with ansi or unicode encoding.
Use notepad or use "edit" of cpanel.

Also,check these links for more information

www w3schools com/html/default.asp
www html net
Google : learn html / html tutorial

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
cPanel is for site administration and isn't required for web site creation. You can use it to upload and edit files, but there are other tools for that.

If you're having problems, describe what you expect and what you get (including any error messages), and include sample code. When asking about problems in web development, include a link to a live page.

As for W3Schools, it's often referred to but of poor quality. Better are "Semantic Content Markup", "Semantics, HTML, XHTML, and Structure", "How To Create" and "HTML Dog".

Create a new file - my1stfile.htm with some html tags like
<html><body>
If you use
Code:
, [html] or [php] tags (as appropriate), it will preserve your sample code, including formatting, and provide some hilighting.
[HTML]<html><body>
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(
['_setAccount', 'UA-1806325-2'],
['_trackPageview']
);
(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();
//-->
</script>

<h1>Hey</h1>
</body></html>[/HTML]

[quote="MaestroFX1, post: 795404"]Also, you could use(locally) some IDE (integrated development environment) like gedit(linux) or npp(windows) if you want to.[/QUOTE]
gedit doesn't count as an IDE. It may be a featureful editor, but that's about it without a debugger. Notepad++ does have some debugging and compilation plug-ins, but seems to be missing more extensive project build functionality.

Last edited:

paint2010

Reaction score
Change the name "test" to "index.htm" to get rid of the directory listing and to load that page as the default page. That isn't a .htm or a .html file. You need to make sure the extension is included with the name. Rename the file via cPanel's file manager.

View attachment Test.html (.htm files are not accepted when uploading attachments).

Last edited:

aodarmy2417

Reaction score
For some reason, It says [a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive] when I try to login to cPanel...

---------- Post added 04-02-2011 at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-01-2011 at 07:40 PM ----------

It's fine now, It was just down for a little while... Thanks for the help everyone!