[HELP] Installing Windows98 SE from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozandas

Reaction score
Hello X10'ers

I've Got a big situation here.

I have this old laptop (Dell Latitude CPt) and its currently running a bugged up version of windows, which of course i got from a friend.

Now, all i want to do is Reformat the Drive in the laptop and Install Win98.

BUT HOW?
There isnt a CD-DRIVE
and the bios doesnt support USB BOOT

Is it possible to Insert an A: Boot disk and command it to boot from usb?
Is it possible to install Windows on another partition WITHIN Windows?

All Idea's Welcomed!

Thanks in Advance.

-Sincerely,
Rozandas

Slothie

Reaction score
Please refer to http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

Copied verbatim from their site:
DOS USB Drivers

There are several ways folks are getting their USB CDroms, Hard Drives, and other drives to work in DOS. One is using what's known as DUSE driver system. The second method is using what looks somewhat like standard CDrom driver files and a USB driver. Both methods appear to require loading an usbaspiX.sys file first in config.sys in most cases. The third method is a bootdisk from a USB vendor. Method 4 is getting good reviews also.

METHOD 1 - The DUSE System

Example 1 Using DUSE

[config.sys]
device=a:\himem.sys
devicehigh=a:\emm386.exe
device=a:\usbaspi.sys
dos=high,umb

Note: You can find a usbspi.sys on the internet or use on of the five different versions I've found in the Download Files section at the bottom of the page

[autoexec.bat]
@echo off
duseldr a:\duse.exe
MSCDEX /D:USBCDROM /S /M:15 /V

Example 2 Using DUSE

[config.sys]
device=a:\himem.sys
DEVICE=a:\duse.exe

[autoexec.bat]
MSCDEX /D:USBCDROM /S /M:15 /V

METHOD 2 - The usbaspi.sys/usbcd.sys System - Example 1

As noted, this method seems just like loading IDE drivers, with the added entry of the usbaspiX file. The following are the relevant portions taken from a modified config.sys and autoexec.bat file which was designed to work with a Windows 98 OEM Bootdisk with the ramdrive.

The complete config.sys and autoexec.bat replacement files are available for download below, and you might want to start first with just copying them to your OEM bootdisk along with the relevant drivers and then experiment later with getting them to work on your Customized disk.

[config.sys - example 1]
device=himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
device=usbaspiX.sys
device=usbcdX.sys /D:mscd001

[config.sys example 2 - USB Floppy in only port, "sometimes" allows switching to CDrom after boot]
device=ramfd.sys
device=usbaspiX.sys /W
device=usbcdX.sys /D:mscd001

[autoexec.bat]
LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%

METHOD 2 - The usbaspi.sys/usbcd.sys System - Example 2

"I finally got my Belkin external drive enclosure with a WD 120gb drive to work in DOS, and then perform a GHOST image", wrote don b. "Here's the files and config.sys that worked."

[config.sys]
devicehigh=usbaspi1.sys
devicehigh=di1000dd.sys
devicehigh=usbcd2.sys /d:USBCD001
LASTDRIVE = Z

[autoexec.bat]
don b. noted that either the standard Ghost or Win98X autoexec.bat worked as is.

METHOD 2 - The usbaspi.sys/usbcd.sys System - Example 3

Herbert H. writes: "I Just solved my problem by using the files from the "virtual" DOS drive ghost03 makes when you run interactive mode. It uses IOmega USB drivers and Guest.exe. It alowed me to use my Western Digital external USB HD in DOS.

[config.sys]
LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICE = usbaspi4.sys /int /all
DEVICE = usbaspi5.sys /int /all
DEVICE = usbaspi5.sys /int /all /D1
DEVICE = usbcdX.sys /D:cd2
DEVICE = OAKCDROM.SYS /D:cd1 [For his IDE CDrom]

METHOD 3 - The datoptic System

A USB 4 DOS bootdisk has been posted here called dat.exe

The key driver files in dat.exe include:

usbaspi.sys 37,090 bytes
nj32disk.sys 15,808
sbp2aspi.sys 28,836

datoptic.com recommends the following config.sys for it's USB/1394 products. It's been reported tho that their drivers also work for other brands as well.

[menu]
menuitem=USB,USB Boot
menuitem=1394,1394 Boot
menudefault=USB,30
menucolor=7,0

[USB]
DEVICE = USBASPI.SYS

[1394]
DEVICE = SBP2ASPI.SYS

[COMMON]
DEVICE = NJ32DISK.SYS /R
LASTDRIVE=Z

METHOD 4 - The Iomega Way

Ben B. wrote:

I built a boot disk to access a USB external hard drive from DOS using drivers included with Norton Ghost. 2003. Since Ghost can write to the external drive in DOS, I figured I could copy its drivers. Turns out they are from Iomega. I wanted to access the external drive to run a disk wiping program. Autoexec.bat and Config.sys can be much improved, but this is the bare bones of the boot disk. Note that the Iomega drivers will work with any USB external hard disk and are not proprietary to Iomega drives (mine is a Western Digital).

Config.sys:

DEVICE=aspiehci.sys /int /all
LASTDRIVE=Z

Autoexec.bat:

@echo off
GUEST.EXE

Contents of my boot disk:

aspiehci.sys [Iomega USB 2.0 driver]
Autoexec.bat
Command.com
Config.sys
guest.exe [Another Iomega program required to access the USB drive]
Io.sys
Msdos.sys

Thanks Ben. Your letter has enough information tho to put folks on the right track to find the drivers themselves. If folks want to save some time tho they can get the drivers here.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DOWNLOAD FILES:

DUSE 4.4 DUSE 4.9 With Excellent Docs

The USBdrivers collection includes 5 different usbaspi.sys and 2 usbcd.sys files, the iomega drivers, the ramfd.sys driver, and the modified Win98 OEM config.sys and autoexec.bat files. You will have to experiment to see which one works for you.

The key driver files I've put together for you in the [USBdriver] collection include:

ramfd.sys 22,012 bytes
usbaspi1.sys 39,093
usbaspi2.sys 43,528
usbaspi3.sys 37,090
usbaspi4.sys 49,242
usbaspi5.sys 50,606

usbcd1.sys 5,509
usbcd2.sys 35,456
di1000dd.sys 16,368

Iomega:
aspiehci.sys 52,106
aspiehcj.sys 49,772 [renamed - older version of aspiehci.sys]
aspiohci.sys 42,242
aspinhci.sys 50,606
guest.exe 8.5 32,396

Please keep in mind that DOS USB CDrom/HDD/zip/etc. drivers is a brand new and developing area so there is no one single method that is guaranteed to work on every PC. If you try a few methods and have no luck, keep at it and dont worry as I'm confident there is enough information here to get at least 99% of the USB drives to work in dos.

A related article from theinquirer.net

Note that the files referred to in the article are included in my usb driver file download.

rozandas

Reaction score
Sweet Dude, Thanks Very Much.

Highly Appreciated.
Time to gift wrap this pc =P

rozandas

Reaction score
Ah, it Didnt work ><

Any way how I can Direct the Win98 Start up Disk to direct it to the USB Drive?
USB Fails.

Bleh, now i gotta find away to install Win98 Using 1.44mb Floppies

Last edited:

Slothie

Reaction score
You need the USB drivers, should be downloadable off the site I gave you

Status
Not open for further replies.