Help Please!

Cowen

Reaction score
I want to use a font on my website that is not a default font installed in windows. Therefore it doesn't show up on other peoples computers.

So, I know there has to be a way to do it but I don't know how... But how do I make it so it will render correctly on other peoples computers?

Currently I just have it in my CSS.

Mooseman

Reaction score
That only works on certain fonts in IE.
Ppl have to download and install the fonts on their computers, else they wont ever see it

adrenlinerush

Reaction score
actually should check to see if the font is available if not show a basic page with a link to the font installer stating they need it to be installed to render correctly

Cowen

Reaction score
That only works on certain fonts in IE.
Ppl have to download and install the fonts on their computers, else they wont ever see it

I realize that. But I am sure there has to be another way to do it so it will work...

Emihaumut

Reaction score
A simple solution is just to make it a graphic. Just grab your trusty image editor software, make a text box and start typing in that font. Given, it's not the most practical of ways, but it works.

Last edited:

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Or you could keep it as a plugin and ask the users that to use the font, they must install the plugin.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Depending on the amount of text to display with that font.

Little : Use a handmade image(gif) with the string in it.

Medium : Us a php GD script to turn strings into images.

Alot : Get the user to download it.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Well thanks for the help guys, but I found what I'm looking for.

http://www.ssi-developer.net/design/embed-font.shtml

This method works in IE5 & IE6 but is not supported by Firefox/Opera.

You'll still need to have a link to the font somewhere so people using FF/Opera/others can get that font installed.

Also, while I don't THINK it'd be a problem, that site doesn't say anything about IE7. If IE7 doesn't support it, then you're in a world of hurt since it'd only work on old versions of browsers.

Edit: Head over here and see what you can make of it: http://www.cameraontheroad.com/index.php?p=524

Supposedly it only works in IE, but that first paragraph is showing up as hand-written in firefox 2.0.0.11, so maybe FF DOES support font-embedding if its done right.

Last edited: