Help please?

Shadow121

Reaction score
My dell warranty ran out and I refuse to pay $99 or whatever just for phone support. There are 2-3 problems in which I am getting.

1. Copy and paste.
I've been trying to copy and paste all day and it isn't copying from one program to another by use of the keyboard. When I do it from the right click menu it works fine.

2. XAMPP Services
I've been trying to install MySQL as a server and it refuses to install it to autostart.

Any help with this? Dx

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ok, copy and paste is software problem, it's not a problem with your dell.
what do you mean by autostart? you mean you want it to start up when your computer boots? simple, just put a shortcut to the program in the windows startup folder. (I'm assuming you're using windows)

Shadow121

Reaction score
Alright,m never thought about the Startup folder o.o; and I'll look into the software thing.

zen-r

Reaction score
Are you on a dell laptop?

The left control key became useless on mine, causing operations like control-c & control-v for copy & paste to become a pain. I either had to press control increasingly hard to get it to work, or used the right-click menu instead, just like you're describing.

But if this isn't the case with you, then yes, it sounds more software-based.

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.

frankfriend

Reaction score
If it is a problem with a left click button on your laptop, try plugging in a mouse and see if it works then. I use a mouse as much as possible in preference to the touch pad and laptop buttons cos I know they go wrong on a lot of machines

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you on a dell laptop?

The left control key became useless on mine, causing operations like control-c & control-v for copy & paste to become a pain. I either had to press control increasingly hard to get it to work, or used the right-click menu instead, just like you're describing

It sounds like you need to install a new keyboard onto your laptop if it's still of reasonable age. It's not too hard to do, just like replacing RAM in a sense.

zen-r

Reaction score
It sounds like you need to install a new keyboard onto your laptop if it's still of reasonable age. It's not too hard to do, just like replacing RAM in a sense.

Yes, but I think I'll wait till a few more keys fail though, to justify the hassle of taking my laptop apart.

:rant2:And I'll only buy a cloned keyboard - not a genuine Dell. I won't let them have the satisfaction of making money off me a 2nd time after making such a shoddy keyboard in the first place (it hasn't had heavy use). The laptop's battery also failed after only 1 year, & it had very little use since I used mains power most of the time.

Thank goodness for cheap eastern clones (even if they do have a reputation for exploding occasionally :happysad: )

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, but I think I'll wait till a few more keys fail though, to justify the hassle of taking my laptop apart.

:rant2:And I'll only buy a cloned keyboard - not a genuine Dell. I won't let them have the satisfaction of making money off me a 2nd time after making such a shoddy keyboard in the first place (it hasn't had heavy use). The laptop's battery also failed after only 1 year, & it had very little use since I used mains power most of the time.

Thank goodness for cheap eastern clones (even if they do have a reputation for exploding occasionally :happysad: )
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever buy a Dell.:mad:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score

On the subject of the battery it's typically good to use the battery down to 10% power and then fully charge it from time to time. My laptop is 10-11 years old, and the battery as of last month still had it's original life minus a few minutes on it. This past week it finally stopped accepting a charge nor will it output power anymore, so the battery has JUST hit the end of it's life 7 years AFTER it should have expired! It is a Dell battery as well.

Last edited:

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi zer-r,

Do you use your laptop 'portably' [new word?] or as as desktop? If it can work with a wireless or infrared link it can be a good trick to use an infrared keyboard with it, then you dont have to keep the laptop in your lap. I do this sometimes as my laptop is on the large side.

zen-r

Reaction score
On the subject of the battery it's typically good to use the battery down to 10% power and then fully charge it from time to time. My laptop is 10-11 years old,....the battery has JUST hit the end of it's life 7 years AFTER it should have expired!...

This was true of Ni-Cad batteries, which suffer from memory effect if not given full charge/ discharge cycles. But I don't believe it necessary for Li-Ion batteries, as is mine, which don't suffer from the same effect. You certainly did well with your battery though (& what an old laptop!)

....Do you use your laptop 'portably' [new word?] or as as desktop? If it can work with a wireless or infrared link it can be a good trick to use an infrared keyboard with it, then you dont have to keep the laptop in your lap.....

I rarely put it on my lap, if that's what you mean - I don't really like all that heat down there (well, only on special occasions! ;) )

The wireless keyboard is a good point. I have one for my PC, but don't really want to use it for my laptop though - it would sort of defeat the purpose of getting something for its compactness & portability, & then having to carry around & link up an additional keyboard. That's why a keyboard is supposed to be built in (if it bloomin' worked the way it was supposed to!)

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
This was true of Ni-Cad batteries, which suffer from memory effect if not given full charge/ discharge cycles. But I don't believe it necessary for Li-Ion batteries, as is mine, which don't suffer from the same effect. You certainly did well with your battery though (& what an old laptop!)

Thanks. It's starting to break down slowly due to age, but it still runs and it still performs great. Not to mention the fact that the Pentium III processor on it is still plenty fast for browsing.

kobie1

Reaction score
Thanks. It's starting to break down slowly due to age, but it still runs and it still performs great. Not to mention the fact that the Pentium III processor on it is still plenty fast for browsing.

A couple of years from now you could probably ebay that for some good coin hahahaha

Last edited:

haslam1

Reaction score
if you mean install from disc just duble click the cd drive in my computer it should start then

CWebguy

Reaction score
The control C thing sounds like a problem with your keyboard definitly.

If it is software it would have to be in the Operating System.

Cheers,