Help with ASP.NET

nyakerz

Reaction score
Okay, I have a problem running my asp.net web site. The first time I tried it, it works. But then the other day when I tried it again, it throws an error.

Here's the Default.aspx I'm trying to run: http://nyakerz.x10hosting.com/a/Default.aspx

It is saved in a folder named "a" for testing purposes.
I tried to search the net and this forum and found some relevant topics
concerning my problem though the solution is not that clear or doesn't make any difference at all since most of the topics I've found is because of virtual drives and something. To explain the error I got when I typed http://nyakerz.x10hosting.com/a/Default.aspx:

Server Error in '/' Application

The section <authentication> can't be defined in this configuration file (the allowed definition context is 'MachineToApplication'). (/home/nyakerz/public_html/a/web.config line 48)

Description: HTTP 500. Error processing request.
Stack Trace:
System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: The section <authentication> can't be defined in this configuration file (the allowed definition context is 'MachineToApplication'). (/home/nyakerz/public_html/a/web.config line 48)
at System.Configuration.SectionInfo.ReadData (System.Configuration.Configuration config, System.Xml.XmlReader reader, Boolean overrideAllowed) [0x00000]
at System.Configuration.SectionGroupInfo.ReadContent (System.Xml.XmlReader reader, System.Configuration.Configuration config, Boolean overrideAllowed, Boolean root) [0x00000]
at System.Configuration.SectionGroupInfo.ReadData (System.Configuration.Configuration config, System.Xml.XmlReader reader, Boolean overrideAllowed) [0x00000]
at System.Configuration.SectionGroupInfo.ReadContent (System.Xml.XmlReader reader, System.Configuration.Configuration config, Boolean overrideAllowed, Boolean root) [0x00000]
at System.Configuration.SectionGroupInfo.ReadRootData (System.Xml.XmlReader reader, System.Configuration.Configuration config, Boolean overrideAllowed) [0x00000]
at System.Configuration.Configuration.ReadConfigFile (System.Xml.XmlReader reader, System.String fileName) [0x00000]
at System.Configuration.Configuration.Load () [0x00000]
at System.Configuration.Configuration.Init (IConfigSystem system, System.String configPath, System.Configuration.Configuration parent) [0x00000]
at System.Configuration.Configuration..ctor (System.Configuration.InternalConfigurationSystem system, System.String locationSubPath) [0x00000]
at System.Configuration.Configuration..ctor (System.Configuration.InternalConfigurationSystem system, System.String locationSubPath) [0x00000]
at System.Configuration.InternalConfigurationFactory.Create (System.Type typeConfigHost, System.Object[] hostInitConfigurationParams) [0x00000]
at System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.OpenWebConfiguration (System.String path, System.String site, System.String locationSubPath, System.String server, System.String userName, System.String password) [0x00000] Version information: Mono Version: 2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version: 2.0.50727.1433

I've been searching the net for days so I decided to post my own topic. If any of you knows the direct answer for this, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Would you mind if I post the web.config? I didn't edit it, I just added the SQL connection strings and configuration for email.

Thanks in advance.

-nyakerz

Submariner

Reaction score
Personally, I think that if you want to develop with a Microsoft solution you should run it on a Microsoft OS. It saves a lot of this hassle.

But then again, opinions are like...