Help with FTP/HTTP folders and basic setup

J.Wales

Reaction score
I did a fresh install on my vps a few days ago. Installed centos5x64. Followed this tutorial on installing LAMP through ssh. Set up bind using the next tutorial successfully with my domain name. I am now seeing the default page. So all is good so far... Unfortunately the tutorials kinda stopped and left me hanging after that.

Now I need some info on how to set up the rest. What I hope to accomplish is setting up folders for each domain name I have or may want. For example '/example.com/html/' directory for example.com domain. Then I'd like to have an FTP user for each one. Currently I don't think I have any ftp access, and I'm not sure where to go next.

I'm hoping to take this on with out installing a panel.

Last edited:

J.Wales

Reaction score
I read up on a few things and as always nothing is ever cut and dry... lol I know I need an FTP service running so I ran the 'yum list installed' command to see what I had. I only had one service, ftp.x86_64, not vsftp that supposidely comes default installed. I tried running yum install vsftp which spits out some generic info and says 'setting up install process no package vsftp available.'

I added a 'd' to the end and it worked. Now I need to be able to ftp into the html folder. I'd like to organize/add users for each domain and a folder for each domain.

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I run Cherokee web server on both my vps and x10's IRC service at http://irc.x10hosting.com/ , and use sftp that is provided through the ssh daemon for transferring files - it's encrypted, which is better than FTP already! (the WinSCP client works for this)

Dunno if that helps. Also, I use Ubuntu; I prefer apt to yum and it seems like not only is there more available, it's more updated too.

J.Wales

Reaction score
I've figured out some of what i need to know. I'm trying to find out how to set the default html folder for a particular domain. Say I want example.com to point to my vps ip, I want the starting folder to be different from the default '/var/www/html/'. I would like to set it under /home/myusername/html/'

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I've figured out some of what i need to know. I'm trying to find out how to set the default html folder for a particular domain. Say I want example.com to point to my vps ip, I want the starting folder to be different from the default '/var/www/html/'. I would like to set it under /home/myusername/html/'

I know with Cherokee there's a nice web configuration GUI for setting that up; if you'd rather use Apache it would be easiest to install Webmin.