Help with my ps3

bdog13

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have a PAL model of the new 40GB ps3, and I was just wondering if any of you knew if it plays ANY ps2 games at all, if it can't, do any of you know a patch or hack you can put on it to make it play them? The reason i'm asking this is because I had to get rid of my ps2 and there are some exclusive games to the ps2 i would like to play.

imaran

Reaction score
it will play every ps2 and ps1 game. if it doesn't right away out of the box, then there is a software download in the PS Store that you can get. Mine played em out of the box but it was a 60gb

imaran

Reaction score
i was told at best buy they could download the emulator through the PS Store. It just doesn't come out of the box that way for the 40. in fact i've seen the download on there.

Last edited:

saioke

Reaction score
Last edited:

Clinton

Reaction score
It says on the box that it does not play Ps2 games. I believe PS1 games will work though.

imaran

Reaction score
well, if the emulator on the PS Store doesn't work, I guess you're screwed. take it back and either get a 60gb or 80gb version.

bdog13

Reaction score
well, if the emulator on the PS Store doesn't work, I guess you're screwed. take it back and either get a 60gb or 80gb version.
I don't have access to broadband much for the whole PS Store thing, but I'll take a look, and I can't take it back because 1: EB Games don't do returns past a week if you dont have a $150 warranty on it which I didn't buy, and 2: In Australia, as far as I know, they took all of the 60GB and 80GB models off the shelf so I'm pretty much stuck with the 40GB.
Edit:
Oh and I thaught the reason the 40GB model is cheaper is because it took out the emulator chip so how can software replace that?

Last edited:

aron4588

Reaction score
all pal psp do not have the emotion chip built in for ps2 i think some of them work
and you can download ps1 games to play on the built-in emulator not buy the emulator

Last edited:

imaran

Reaction score
I don't have access to broadband much for the whole PS Store thing, but I'll take a look, and I can't take it back because 1: EB Games don't do returns past a week if you dont have a $150 warranty on it which I didn't buy, and 2: In Australia, as far as I know, they took all of the 60GB and 80GB models off the shelf so I'm pretty much stuck with the 40GB.
Edit:
Oh and I thaught the reason the 40GB model is cheaper is because it took out the emulator chip so how can software replace that?

if you look around online, almost every console has an emulator so you can play on PC. all they needed to do was make it display on tv instead of on monitor...it's a pretty small file.

bdog13

Reaction score
So that file is on the PS Store? I had a look around on it the other day, and I couldn't find it. I don't know if it's on the Australian PS Store and there isn't any notice of it on http://au.playstation.com/ either. I wonder if it's just on the PS Store that is provided over the NTSC consoles. Is there a way I can download it off the PC so I can upload it onto my PS3 myself? Although the file could be for NTSC PS2 support.

Last edited:

Evocation

Reaction score
No way at the moment to play ps2 on the PAL 40GB, might as well just buy another ps2 could get it cheap on ebay or something... I don't think they'll bring out emulation for the 40GB as sony wants to draw the focus to ps3 games now...

It'll still play ps1 games though

bdog13

Reaction score
No way at the moment to play ps2 on the PAL 40GB, might as well just buy another ps2 could get it cheap on ebay or something... I don't think they'll bring out emulation for the 40GB as sony wants to draw the focus to ps3 games now...

It'll still play ps1 games though
Thanks for the post. You can't replace an emotion chip with software or patches. Even the biggest homebrew PS3 hackers can't put a ps2 emulator in it yet because the only way they can even think of is to install linux, and hack the hell out of it with all sorts of software, and why would they be doing that if they could just download a patch? I've been trying to get this pont across for so long so I deffinately agree with you.

Sohail

Reaction score
I'm afraid you can't patch that with software update. Hackers have managed to run homebrew on the PSP quite easily but so far i have seen nothing for the PS3. Well lets not start a discussions about hacking here as we could get into a lot of trouble ;). Do you think buying a new TV would solve the issue because you are running out of options...

imaran

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. You can't replace an emotion chip with software or patches. Even the biggest homebrew PS3 hackers can't put a ps2 emulator in it yet because the only way they can even think of is to install linux, and hack the hell out of it with all sorts of software, and why would they be doing that if they could just download a patch? I've been trying to get this pont across for so long so I deffinately agree with you.

they used to have a download on the US playstation store that allowed you to download the emulator so you could play ps2 games. if they took it down thats their choice, but they did do it, regardless of what you say. talk to people at best buy, each that I've talked to when I bought my ps3 a few months back confirmed that the new ones that couldn't play ps2 games could download the emulator through the PS store. maybe your country just doesn't allow it.

Last edited: