Help with photoshop graphic

espfutbol98

Reaction score
I'm working on a header image for my site and the text comes out blocky while the logo doesn't (I sampled from somewhere else). I've read about eight different sites and they all say the same thing and I follow the instructions to the letter but still, it doesn't come out right. I have a 203*94px w/ 300dpi and rasterized text being saved to a .gif in Photoshop CS4. What should I do?

deadone

Reaction score
well if the image used is not animated i would suggest you save it as .png format, see what that looks like

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
if you can provide an example that would be helpful,
another thing is that because you are displaying on the web, a 300 dpi is not needed, it actually increases your file size, 72 is web/screen resolution

also I suggest exporting in png format, supports gradients and transparencies better than gif

waxdoc

Reaction score
Web monitor resolution

Reading one of the "real world" books on Photoshop, I was reminded to pay attention to the top part of the Image>IMAGE SIZE dialog box (e.g., width: 500px, height: 500px) for Web images because you are dealing with screen resolution in pixels, not points or inches as in print.

This may not answer "jaggy" issue, but resolution:300px at the bottom of the dialog box does not necessarily translate into Web screen resolution. Does it?

I guess you mean PPI (pixels per inch), not DPI (dots per inch) used in printing?

Last edited:

pbmuja

Reaction score
In website graphics make sure the smallest file possible. 300 dpi is not essential.

lolimaru

Reaction score
72 dpi for viewing on a computer monitor. 300 dpi for prints. I only use .gif for animations, and .png for transparency, gradients, and better quality.

I always save my header and logo as 100% quality because I'm picky about how it looks at around 70% which what most people use so that their images load faster and use up less bandwidth.

Please show an example so I can see exactly what's going on with the "blocky" text.

Trixter

Reaction score
Like everyone's saying72DPI for web and 300-600 for print (depends on the size of image your printing. Can't help you with the blocky issue until you post a sample.

turtlerage

Reaction score
Reduce your image size in Photoshop to 72dpi, at the finished pixel size that you require, then view by 'Actual pixel' under the view menu (this will show how the graphic should look once uploaded).

Also consider saving as a jpeg or png file.