Help?

woiwky

Reaction score
You should only need one rule I believe, unless your router has a strange way of doing things. What router are you using? Did you completely follow the guide for it on portforward.com? Also, when I asked how your router is messed up, I meant what is different that would make you think it's messed up. I assume that you're still able to get online.

POWERtunez

Reaction score
i have a BT voyager 2091 router. and i followed it but i got confused so i tried making 5 separate rules but it didnt work.

POWERtunez

Reaction score
i got confused on the part where i gotta enter the port numbers to my router.

woiwky

Reaction score
Alright, this is what you should have for adding the rule before you click Apply:

voyager20914xo9.jpg

Where "your comp's ip" is the *internal* ip of your computer. To get this, you need to go to Start>Run and type 'cmd' and hit enter. Then in the console that opens up, type 'ipconfig' and hit enter. Whatever IP you see for "IP Address" is what should be in that field.

Additionally, they recommend making a static internal IP for your comp. This is probably a good idea since your internal IP can change, which means that rule won't apply to it anymore. They provide a guide for doing this here:

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

However you might want to check if making the port forward rule fixes your problem before you take the time to do that.

If it still isn't working, then you'll have to try a DMZ. To do this you'll need to go to the same section that you go to for port forwarding(Virtual Server) and click on DMZ Host at the top. If there's no guidelines provided for doing this, get a screenshot and post it here. I'll see if I can help with that.

woiwky

Reaction score
So does that mean that you've set up the new rule or what? You can probably delete those other rules you made, by the way.

POWERtunez

Reaction score
well.my mate tried it and its still not working but i don't know if it needs to click play 5 times or some random ammount to get it working? I was wondering do i use my "static IP" to connect up with the player? and i presume the port should change to port :: 8001?

Last edited:

woiwky

Reaction score
You should leave it as port 8000. And your current icecast and SAM config should be alright. If you're able to connect to the stream on the server itself(your computer), then it's set up correctly. Other computers in your network would connect to the stream using your static internal IP. However, outside computers need to connect through your external IP.

But anyway, could you get me a screenshot of the DMZ section of your router's config? If port forwarding hasn't work, then that's the next step.

We've solved this problem via PM. This topic can be closed now.

Well, I guess I should actually add on a bit in case someone else runs into a similar problem and searches for an answer.

Some of these things might be specific to icecast, but I believe it applies generally:

Making his computer DMZ did solve the problem, however I don't condone doing this just because it works. This exposes your computer completely to the internet. While a router's security certainly isn't impenetrable, it does help. If anyone else does this, you should be sure that the computer you're setting up as a DMZ has a properly configured software firewall on it(although you *should* have that on any computer).

Another note, the Windows Firewall that is provided on Windows XP SP2, Server 2003 SP1, and any version of Vista can be responsible for blocking connections to your server. It is definitely a good idea to test if this is the cause of your problem before setting the server as a DMZ. Since I have no idea about the firewall differences between different Windows versions, I'm just going to say that you should google configuring the windows firewall on whichever OS you're using.

And lastly, I need to be clear on one thing. Any computer within your network *cannot* test the server through the external IP. If you simply go to another computer in your house to test your server, you can only connect through the server's *internal* IP(which more than likely begins with 192.168). In order to test if external computers can connect to your server, you have to test with an external computer.

Last edited:

cursedpsp

Reaction score
Aha lol i was making a radio tutorial just today - coinsidence...

Ill give you a tutorial

Open ports (by port forwarding) that have not been used (im using 5190), make sure they are unused. And port them to your computer ip. It needs to be TCP/UDP.

Run your streamer

Now go to your LOCAL IP - but, use "mms://YOUR LOCAL IP:THE PORT"
Many problems come when people use "http://" because it is a bad request. so use "mms://"

If that worked go to "mms://GLOBAL IP:pORT"

It worked totally fine for me but it took about 4 hours to figure how to do it!

woiwky

Reaction score
He was using SAM Broadcaster and icecast2, though. Aside from the port forwarding part, that information is specific to MMS.

T

themasterrocker

how do we get the javascript boot on the webpage opening isnt it something like (body_onload) and what do i need to put in the image bit to boot make the image change whats playing? have a look at my site. :: http://powertunezfm.pcriot.com

Last edited by a moderator: