Hey, Any computer tech's here?

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The IT guy at my highschool really sucks, so the science department head wants me to take care of the computers in her wing. I'm pretty good with general computer problems, I do light coding, scripting, and built 8-9 computers *business I have going on =D*

So now I've been getting portable app's on my pendrive to help out with general maintaince of computers.. So far I have Portable CCleaner, and a Portable defgragger.. Anyone know any other good programs to keep around with me? Space is not a issue, I have two 16gb Flash Voyagers by Corsair *They freaking RULE, you guys should check into em*

I have a winXP disk lying around my locker just in case lol.. my old upgrade disk. useless now =P

Thanks

~Blaze

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm not necessarilly a computer tech, I'm just an avid gamer who does seem to operate a mini business in a sense doing IT work as a hobby for people in the area. So yeah, I am a techie/geek in a way, but I'm not a full blown Cisco certified 100% dedicated computer tech though.

I've found that besides using Portable CCleaner and Portal Defrag utilities, I've found it useful to keep portable versions of Firefox on you, as well as Linux disks/the Ultimate Boot CD for when you are really deep into a problem. You don't know how many times I've saved data for people by booting up a Knoppix CD to their computer to pull data off of an NTFS drive and move it onto a FAT32 drive or send it to a network share. Though of course for a school's sake, I wouldn't go around running Linux on their PCs to try to recover data. Also, I've found HijackThis! and an updated installer of Avast! Anti-Virus to come in handy as well, as well as some batch files for the most common commands/steps ran on a PC.

Also for PCs that keep getting messed up or virus'ed, I've found it nice to keep DeepFreeze/Windows SteadyState (free) to install onto the computers :biggrin:. No one hates it more when the C drive is restored back to the way it was after a reboot, eh? :D

For a school though, Defraggler, CCleaner, and some general maintenance batch files should do fine. Portable Firefox as well as things such as Spybot can be second, but it all depeneds on how bad the computers are. The stuff I mentioned above are things I keep on me whenever I go for a computer related job in the area. I may add a Pocket Ethernet adapter to that as well, as I've had in numerous occasions where I'm short an Ethernet cable.

Last edited:

GrandeMike

Reaction score
Hiren's Boot CD. Google it, grab it, burn it. Has tons of utilities on it, but it is a little more on the advanced side of things.

dbojan

Reaction score
You can also install some smaler linux ditros on it and add many tools to it, just keep vesa graphic driver so you can boot it on any computer you want without problems.

REBEL21

Reaction score
small linux have a look at damn small linux as it can be run/booted on a usb disk!

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Nice, thanks guys.

I installed the PortableApps suite thing, *the one w/e Openoffice, the one right before that*
Comes with random things, nothing really useful, but needed it for CCleaner.

I actually have a 3-4 month old Hirens boot CD lying around. Good stuff =P
I have a friend in college who works for Geeksquad parttime, and he has the Geeksquad MRI CD, might ask him if I can get a copy of that. Seems to be a good, automated process.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure to keep a copy of Linux with me, or on a pendrive =D

Which one should I get? Damnsmall or "Knoppix" *never heard of the latter*.

~Blaze
~Blaze

Max1337

Reaction score
I'd use Tune-Up Utilities :p
Although, you have to pay for it... But it's worth it

hcse26

Reaction score
Well I never leave home with my hard drive without these utilites:

Teracopy - Really useful when it comes to copying because it's blazing fast. I managed to move 60GB in 40Mins! You'd want this especially in Vista because copying is really slow.

ClamWin Portable - Not really an effective antivirus, but still, I keep it handy to remove some viruses and it's free and portable

7zip - self explanatory (?)

Infrarecorder - portable cd/dvd burning software. useful for me since I keep .iso images of software on my external HDD

You can get teracopy from codesector.com. Everything else is on Portableapps.com

Hiren's Boot CD. Google it, grab it, burn it. Has tons of utilities on it, but it is a little more on the advanced side of things.

Since I've been hearing about that CD, I think imma grab it. Might come in handy ;)

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the Infrarecorder, Now I can keep a few ISO's on my pendrives =D

~Blaze