Hi, I've got a quick question about this hosting

ash242450

Reaction score
I've looked at reviews like I always do when I change webhosts (I've done it a lot ;P) and yours are realy mixed- Almost all are either extremely good (10/10 in all aspects) or realy bad (Even the bad ones say you have good uptime though :eek:)

Mostly the complains which there weren't a large amount of (I'm just asking to be safe) were about usage and using too much space.

Would I be OK making (Or copying across and continuing development on) a social networking site?

It's sort of like Facebook except not as, er, good and it's more of a massive school project I'm doing to try to ace my BTEC in site design (Considering everyone else is just using dreamweaver and ordinary HTML documents I think I have a decent chance)

All source was written by me, and I do allow users to upload images, however I'm going to impose a moderation on these (They'll be stored in a folder named 'unmoderatedImages' or something and won't be officialy added until I allow them through, or delete them

Anyway, would I be ok? I'd probably use, say, 1 GB of images users upload (This is a worst case scenario, I've only got 2 active users right now), they'll all be PNG unless I decide to change which is unlikely, a couple of MB files and a few SQL tables, but not much- I just store things like posts and users, so that shouldn't be a problem on any host, I guess.

Last edited:

andrew35133

Reaction score
First off Welcome to X10

Second, I would say that it would be ok for you to bring your website/social network here. The only thing i see that would get in your way would a user uploading a bad script (but i bet you can limit the file types they upload). I'm currently on X10premium and was on x10 free and it was the best. The only problem I ran into while using the free servers was the sql server would be slow to load at peak times during the day, (but i was requesting alot of requests)

So I say that x10 would be perfect for you and your project. If you need any more questions answered or cleared up please leave a reply below :D

again welcome to this amazing community

swirly

Reaction score
I don't know if they've changed it recently but an upload script used to get you suspended, check the TOS to see what it says about upload scripts.

andrew35133

Reaction score
* Bots\Scripts We do not allow any type of bot or script that runs constantly, free hosting is for creating a website, not for hosting your scripts.

* Script Hosting: Space provided by x10Hosting is to be used to create a functional website, we do not allow bots, content scrapers, or any other script that runs continuously on your account. Any scripts that are executed via cron or manually must be directly related to your website.

* Auto Generated Content: Sites that use scripts to automatically generate content are prohibited, this includes but is not limited to AutoBlog scripts and anything else that automatically generates websites for SEO or other purposes.

* Illegal Material: This includes copyrighted works, commercial audio, video, or music files, and any material in violation of any Federal, State, or Local regulation. You may not store copyrighted Mp3s or videos on your webspace in any way shape or form.

thats all i can see that might apply to you

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The image uploader will probably get you canned. It's not that what you're planning to do is unreasonable (in fact, with moderation in place, it's very reasonable), but that management has been forced to take a rather hard line on these things due to people gaming the system for nefarious purposes. (And the line has been a little harder lately with the addition of "high risk" accounts.) There are a couple of elements of the Terms of Service that have been applied recently:

Personal accounts are to be used by the primary owner only. Personal account holders are not permitted to resell, store or give away web-hosting services of their website to other parties. Web hosting services are defined as allowing a separate, third party to host content on the owner's web site.

* Personal Image\Video Galleries: Personal galleries are limited to 1GB of disk space for images and videos.

(Read a heavy emphasis on the word personal in that bullet point.)

Allowing your users to upload image files (beyond avatars) has been interpreted as "hosting third-party content". Frankly, by this definition, any blog that allows comments and all forums would be in violation of the rule as well, but it's a matter of "where do you draw the line?" It's not the people who are willing to play nice who are driving the interpretation, and selective interpretation doesn't work (since it gives the offending parties a lever to use).

You might want to seek explicit permission from management (Corey) before implementing the photo aspect, but it's an add-on that you can easily integrate into the site at a later date. If you can get the basic application up and running, you may stand a better chance of getting an exception.

andrew35133

Reaction score
Better yet if you want a forsure way of making sure the website is ok, eather let the management look at it as of right now or upgrade to the premium.

ash242450

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I might change and cancel plans for image uploading, but I might just use this for my other sites, and keep this one where it is (Got it on 000 right now)

Thanks for helping though :)