HiDef TV -vs- Computer Monitor

rolandr

Reaction score
Is there any advantage getting a dedicated computer monitor over today's High Definition TVs which now have DVI and computer monitor jacks?

Sorry if this topic was cover already. I'm a bit new here.

greatm

Reaction score
It really depends on quality of either. I prefer desktop monitors because if I was going to get a HD television I would get a rather large one and don't feel like mounting it on the wall across the room so that I am far enough that I am not distracted by the lack of smooth edges.

That being said, if my television was closer to my computer I would connect it to my desktop and sit in my living room and play some games on the television which has a (very old - over 15 years old) bose surround sound system hooked up to it.

I think as far as your question is concerned, you will want to determine how close to your screen you want to be or can be since a fair number of hd televisions don't look all that great if you are to close despite having 3 or 5 million to one contrast ratios, but if you don't mind being farther away I'd say go for the television.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It's really a matter of distance than it is quality, as well as personal preference. Computer monitors are great if you're close to them (couple of feet). Anything else, TV as the TV will be easier to see.

nugames

Reaction score
I work in a computer store as a Technician and get this question asked a lot.

All depends on what you're doing. If you just browse the web and check email, theres absolutely NO point in getting a giant hd tv to use as a computer monitor replacement. Now, if you use your computer for a lot of different things such gaming, movie-watching, video editing, photo-editing, or hell, even one of these things, then yeah, you may want to get a nice hd tv. It doesn't have to be a big giant 42" screen, they do make very nice 19" hd monitors.

Keep in mind, you also will need the hardware to take advantage of your nice new shiny screen. Your old compaq presario thats been sitting in your basement collecting dust certainly isn't going to put out 1080p video.

casey roberts

Reaction score
Many of the cheaper HDTVs only put out 720p, which is nowhere near the resolution of many computer monitors of the same size (24"-37").

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
ya it dipends what ur gonna do with it it is usually easier to just get a monitor because tv's are alot bulkyer and is is usually awkward to use your tv for a tv and a monitor

mrmartin

Reaction score
Both have their advantages and disadvanages.

HDTVs tend to be bigger (though not always)
A good HDTV can match a more expenisve and smaller pro-monitor in colour reproduction as they use alpha IPS panels.
Monitors have higher pixel density and lower pixel pitch.
TVs have higher brightness and contrast (only of use when viewing from long distances)

All in all it comes down to how far you'll be sitting from the screen and what screen size you want. If you want a bigger screen and will be viewing from a distance then get the TV, the extra brightness and contrast will come in useful and you won't notice the comparitively low pixel density. Though for a desk you should really get a monitor, big screens are a pain at small viewing distancesand the higher pixel density is useful at close range.

Personally i'ld say go for a monitor if it's in a desk/office environment asnd only go with the HDTV with something like a HTPC where you can use the TV in the environment it was designed for.

tmaloof

Reaction score
Absolutely go with a HiDef TV. Those new LEDs are unbelievable and look awesome!!!

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
One thing people haven't brought up is the use of TV's as displays for elderly people. Stay with me for a sec here: often, I service computers owned by elderly people who have, say, 17" 1280x1024 monitors running way under res (1024x768 or even 800x600) because they can see it better. A smaller LCD TV is going to run at a lower res than an equally sized monitor, so providing it's clear enough at close range, it may be perfectly acceptable as a monitor for people preferring a lower resolution.

--- Mr. DOS

Nekaid

Reaction score
Okay, my recommendation? Get a computer MONITOR. A TV is only useful if for large display. TVs, even HDTVs are not suited to computers. Also, you can find the same quality monitor as an HDTV for lower similar price or lower! I recommend checking here: http://www.newegg.com

Some monitors come with HDMI now, but you'd need a powerful video card in order to fully use it.