homepage web address question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurfle

Reaction score
I notice that now I can get to my homepage via both

www.dreyer.x10hosting.com and dreyer.x10hosting.com

Originally I am pretty sure it was sign-up instructions that got me to use the one with "www", but then two days ago, I temporarily changed the domain of my account to pcriot.com so I could remove an orphaned e-mail address on that domain address created when I originally signed up on pcriot.com. After switching back to x10hosting.com, the "www" url would not work (it threw me into some weird space with nasty popups). Then I saw on the account change screen that my web address was listed without the "www", and sure enough, changing to that worked.

Then yesterday, both addresses started working, but I am wondering now if there is a prefered one to be using. If the one with "www" is more likely to break like it did two days ago, then of course I would prefer the other, although I believe using "www" is in general technically more correct for web pages.

Does it matter which I should give out as the correct one to use?

Thanks fo educating me on this issue (it's probably apparent that I am quite ignorant about how urls really work)

Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can't see that it matters either way.

Sometimes servers (not the sub-domain) will go down and that would cause it not work but I understand you saying that it was because of the www. and no www.

gurfle

Reaction score
Guess, I'll stick with the the www. version . . .

Thanks, Nick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.