Horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

divined

Reaction score
I understand this is free hosting with no ads but I noticed the server is slow and 75% of the time my site is down. I don't know if its only my server but Lotus is down almost all the time. I would barly be able to edit my site due to the server always being down. Hopefully something can be done about the horrible downtime of this host.

Hopefully you guys don't have as much trouble as I did.

Last edited:
Reaction score
To be quite honest with you divined, you've joined just at the wrong time. This isn't a normal practice. It's just down to new things happening here. Stick it out, you'll be glad by the end of it.

Page two of that threat that Livewire's linked to will tell you most of what you need to know.

Jonthefisherman

Reaction score
Its a great host just a little slow at times, and once the issues with you're server has been resolved I'm sure your experience will be greater.

b0dyr0ck2006

Reaction score
I understand this is free hosting with no ads but I noticed the server is slow and 75% of the time my site is down. I don't know if its only my server but Lotus is down almost all the time. I would barly be able to edit my site due to the server always being down. Hopefully something can be done about the horrible downtime of this host.

Would this also be the case with the Starka Server as at the moment 23.00 GMT its taking 55 seconds on average to load a page.
It seems that 50% of the time the server is flying along like you would expect on broadband and other times the page load times raise to somewhere around the 55 second time.
I appreciate that it's a free server and if someone's site is popular then it will drop the overall bandwidth for all but this is unreal.

I'm still very happy with the service and support and very grateful for the upgrade, I also understand that there is still upgrades on going but I don't seem to see any info about the starka server.

Last edited:

Hired_Goon

Reaction score
To be quite honest with you divined, you've joined just at the wrong time. This isn't a normal practice. It's just down to new things happening here. Stick it out, you'll be glad by the end of it.

Pardon???? I don't think I heard that right??? Try out an account on absolut and you will find it IS normal practice and has been at least the last four months.

httpd down on a daily basis, and sometimes on an hourly basis!

Now the server status link in cpanel has vanished as has the sticky post that showed server status in the free hosting section.

Now it's impossible to check whether the problem is a server or coding issue.

Reaction score
My blog is hosted on the Absolut server too. So I think I would have noticed thanks.

I stand by my comments - with all the new implementations going on things are still changing and once these have calmed down we'll be back to how things were before which were a lot better!

The status link has been removed because it's not reliable now - this is being worked on behind the scenes.

I don't think you quite realise what is going on at the moment.

Last edited:

Hired_Goon

Reaction score
I don't think you quite realise what is going on at the moment.

I'm well aware of what's going on at the moment. Lots of new bells and whistles being worked on to make the site more pleasant on the eye. Expansion of services to accommodate bigger and better things.

Pleasantries are worthless if users are getting frustrated because basic functionality/reliability of a server is not there. Absolut has been going down regularly since long before the changes, so there is no relation between the two.

So, If all the effort is going into upgrades, how much time is left to fix the basics to keep people happy??? Not a lot.

I've been with x10 since Sept 07 so I know that things used to be reliable and fast, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

But, at the end of the day, the old adage, You get what you pay for, applies.

But when the day comes that my site is finished and I have to pay for the bandwidth that I expect my site to draw, will I spend it on a host that can't keep a few daemons on a freehost server running for more than 2 hours straight? (based on the fact that I spend four to five hours daily working on my site / number of times I get not responding errors)

It's all about confidence. I'm not confident paying for a service that can't prove to me that it is reliable.

jensen

Reaction score
Been with x10 for a few years now and have rode out the stormy times with them. They are doing fine. They have had to deal with all sorts of problems and all sorts of people :)

But they are still here aren't they? If x10 is really that lousy, do you think people will still be on this forums? Yeah there's some problem with the server because of users. Why are they getting more strict if not to ensure that real users can benefit from better uptime.

They are in the process of removing accounts so in that process others would be affected. So chill. :D

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
I agree with the comment above, in all the time i've used x10 this is only the second time i've experienced lasting downtime. If you really want premium service and uptime maybe you should consider paying for it. X10 already offers features more than just about any other free web host out there and have (I would guess) thousands of users, problems are bound to happen.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried two or three times to make a good no-anger reply to this, but I'm finding it difficult so I'll put it this way:

Artic: 99.9% uptime if not more. Last known downtime: Corrupted php binary repaired in under an hour.
Ciroc (when I was on it): 99.9% uptime if not more. Last known downtime: issues with a cPanel backup running nightly - was also what caused Corey to purchase Artic and migrate accounts to make the downtime disappear.

I'll leave it at that; comparing Free servers (1000's of accounts per server) to Paid (more like 100 each, if that) would be like comparing the comfort of a compact car in a demo derby to a stretch limo in a barren desert with the A/C on full - no comparison whatsoever.

Edit: Wow, 3 replies all praising x10 in short succession - gotta love this forum :)

Last edited:

Hired_Goon

Reaction score
We are not talking cars. We are talking bits, bytes and mega amounts of such items.

But, you are partly correct, number of users is a problem.

When server status was available in control panel it was easier to find what the problem was.
A simple look would state whether it was httpd down or mysql or some other service.

Couple of times I found everything was working but 26% load was the cause. Yep. a whole 26% was enough to kill a web page.

I agree, paid services should receive priority bandwidth and service and expect nothing less. but, my point is, maybe you would have 200 users per paid server rather than 100, if free servers were a bit more reliable. X10's free hosting is their best advertisement. Everybody wants to try something for free before forking out hard earned dollars on something they are unsure of cultivating their needs.

Currently the advertising leaves a lot to be desired. It provides all the tools required, but too often the tool is broken or bent. Like I said. Confidence. Sell the paid services by installing confidence that the user experiences from the start is painless.

If x10 is really that lousy, do you think people will still be on this forums?

This made me chuckle. I think we are on the forums because we have to log in regularly. Do you think as many people would be here if the requirement was to log on to Cpanel at least once every two weeks? I'm in control panel almost daily, but only usually log in here to fulfill my fortnightly obligation. Small price, but inconvenient, so occasionally, I'll put my two cents worth in. Never makes a difference though, people tend to go defensive and get offended rather than trying to sort out the root of the problem and fixing it.

Seems these days people are too soft to take constructive criticism and run with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.