Hosting a Hackathon.. is it okay??

srvmdk

Reaction score
Hi.. I am new to forums so kindly excuse me if I have posted in a wrong section.. but I guess this is the section where I would get the best answers from x10hosting admins.. so posting it here. I have got a domain and webspace from you (thanks to your free services :smile:) where I would like to host some open-source php pages. My idea is of starting a hackathon where participants would need to find the security vulnerabilities of the code and fix it. All the patches and changes made in the code will be made public so that others can benefit from it and apply the same fixes in their code.

No my question is -- is it okay and legal? I have read the TOS and understand it.. and all the code will not contain any warez/copyrighted things.. the participants will have to 'hack' the code, find any security issues and fix it.. the main aim is doing good.. and we wont promote any black hat stuff..

Kindly let me know before I break any rules and my account gets suspended..

Thanks in advance..

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend it, if only because while it might not violate our Terms, I highly doubt our Datacenter would appreciate a sudden influx in hacking activity towards a server we operate. In addition, should someone decide to hack the page but not in the spirit of the event and upload something bad, you'd be held responsible.

wifiber

Reaction score
If you're going to do that, then just set up a basic home server and do it on that...

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
These days it's kind of tough on saying where you need to set up shop to run a Hackathon. Doing it at home is risky unless you know how to segment and separate networks, and hope you also don't get a DDoS attack. Doing it on x10Hosting would get a lot of people very upset if the server winds up getting hacked, and you could probably rent a dedicated server but I'm sure they don't want people encouraging others to hack into their boxes and potentially create abuse. Either way, you are responsible for what is done.