Hotlinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

renovatio_2143

Reaction score
Hi i wanted to try the hotlinking feature on the cpanel but everytime i do, this error shows up: There was an error while enabling hotlink protection. Error: while opening /home/securityremoved/public_html/.htaccess

any ideas how do i fix it? thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Your cPanel uses the .htaccess file to implement your hotlinking protection, so just go ahead and use .htaccess.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is it might be having problems opening it because it's already been written into by Wordpress, and what's in there isn't hotlink protection so it might be freaking out when it tries to read it.

I also removed your cpanel username from the original post; it's not a big security hazard, but since we don't need it (we have a different system that shows it if we'd ever need it for something) I cleared it out. No use having someone try to brute-force into it or something :)

renovatio_2143

Reaction score
I see..yes wordpress has already written something on the htaccess file. It would have the same effect if I edit the htaccess file manually and add codes like the ones generated on this website right?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but you'll want to make a backup of the .htaccess file both before, AND after you make the changes. Wordpress might undo the changes you make if you were to update it, so you'll want a copy of the changes you added.

You'll want one from before changing it so if the change doesn't work you have the original to go back to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.