how do free webhosts like x10 survive?

aquila

Reaction score
i'm relatively new to the world of web design, hosting and so on and i was wondering how in the world does a hosting company like x10 and and all the other free hosts survive when no one pays for the service. mind you i'm not complaining , i'm just trying to understand how it works exactly.:happysad:

btfog

Reaction score
some people pay
they make money off offers
they make money off their adverts

aquila

Reaction score
some people pay
they make money off offers
they make money off their adverts

off adverts? like the adverts above, want free webhosting, create free website? so people pay to put adverts on the site then? but why would they pay when they can have their own site and advertise for free?
Edit:
It's Corey. He pays for everything out of pocket. Thank him.
is that true corey? :cool:

Last edited:

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
off adverts? like the adverts above, want free webhosting, create free website? so people pay to put adverts on the site then? but why would they pay when they can have their own site and advertise for free?
Edit:

is that true corey? :cool:

The advertisement used is through various companies - like Google Adsense. Although, I do believe Corey offers a small advertising package for those that want to advertise a website. And yes, most of the cost of running x10 comes straight from Corey's pocket. A small amount comes from money obtained through paid hosting and advertising revenue.

aquila

Reaction score
. And yes, most of the cost of running x10 comes straight from Corey's pocket. A small amount comes from money obtained through paid hosting and advertising revenue.

a big thank you to you corey!:bowdown:

nakg0d

Reaction score
It works sort of like a business: the person first invests, sees growth, and keeps on investing to see a greater outcome in the end.

Sohail

Reaction score
X10 makes most of their money from the advertisements, which some is used to keep X10 running all the time ;). It's how the web works; Hotmail gives you free email accounts with loads of space for free, they wouldn't be able to have so much space if they couldn't afford it which is why there are advertisements all over the place, I usually click most of the ads I see just so people can make money to keep the websites running.

aquila

Reaction score
I usually click most of the ads I see just so people can make money to keep the websites running.

i didn't think people click on ads anymore hence the question. now that you put it this way, i think i will start clicking on some ads on the sites i like:)

Last edited:

afterlight

Reaction score
Yep, x10 practically gains some income from the users, ads all over the place and probably some affiliates/partners.

Click on 'em google ads once in awhile. You can help x10 in your little way. Lol :)

Dazz

Reaction score
I had a look at vibrantmedia they guys who do all the in-line text ads, their guidelines state that your website needs to get at least 500,000 hits per month in order for you to qualify. If they are a ppc (pay per click) program then he might not get too much, if its ppm (pay per impression) then he will earn something (usually not very much) everytime someone see's the ad. I also notice that there are ads from google on here and if Im right (which Im usually not :hahano:) adsense pays per click and also for impressions (though I don't know how much lol)

Even with this and the premium members, Im pretty sure at least some of the funding for (IMO the best hosting available) must come out of his own pocket.

Though according to Sootle - http://directory.sootle.com/website-worth/ - Corey could sell X10 for approx $271,812! Apparently mines worth $5 LOL

And according to Direct Link Ads - http://www.direct-link-ads.com/ - he could sell 10 ads on this site and make £2912.70 a year. Again apparently mine would earn £337.26 a year LOL still better than a flipping fiver LOL

Hey this is my 100 posting, do I get a sticker or something LOL

kidbw3

Reaction score
Most free hosts force you to put banners and text links on your site, and the hosters get paid for every click/view. Sites that don't have forced ads on the hostees site, like X10 and freehostia, have them on the other pages of their site, like on the X10 forums it will say sponsored links. Also, most free hosts have a paid version.

By the way, my site is worth $58. Thats almost 6 times as much as I payed for it!

Flashgear

Reaction score
Everytime you go to your cPanel - that full page ad that shows up, they get alot of money from that.

My site is worth $850 lol

Last edited:

NSChan

Reaction score
All about the advertising and paid subscribers, for a popular web host they may get quite a sum for an advert on the home page

alcramer

Reaction score
I too have wondered about the business model behind x10. Love the idea that Corey's behind it all -- if so, thanks!.
The thing is -- regardless of who's funding this, I think it's going to be worth a fair chunck of change in a year or so. ANYTHING you do that creates good real estate on the Internet is worth bucks. x10's got something that's unique and promising -- free support for anyone who wants to put up web apps, as opposed to static html sites -- and its members are really growing. Wih I'd thought of that....