How do I get ANYTHING to work? (Please read before writeoff)

ashkaele

Reaction score
Hi, I have both a shared premium X10 account and a VPS (very basic level) account (running CentOS 5.5 no GUI, no Kloxo whatever-its-called, no VNC, and nothing besides the usual for x86_64 server). This is obviously the VPS talk forum, so I am not going to discuss the shared prem here.

My VPS has some issues. I can install stuff using YUM, that I learned to do from 1 1/2 years of Fedora Linux (with GUI on home PC's) usership. But I can't get any scripts to run! PHP is installed, so is MySQL. I installed SMX (Server Macro Expansion) on an earlier try, but the smx scripts all showed their usual coding junk, and not dynamic output. I haven't tried CGI/Perl, because I don't feel like killing the system and getting all of X10 administratio/IT Dept ticked off at me.

So my point here, to lop it all off, is, how do I get ANYTHING to work (besides installing programs and working with Apache configuration, restarting the server, etc etc - that I already know)?!

Maybe there's a slight error I made somewhere I am not capable of noticing?

Background info: I want to move all my domains onto this one VPS server, so that I won't need my crud NFSN shared hosting account, nor will I need my X10Prem shared account. I haven't figured that one out, either, but I guess reading this forum, I can get the stuff to work when I need it to. I just need PHP, SMX, et. al. to function and not return White Screens of Death and/or output their internal coding onto the screen. Also, I need someone to smack the SMX developers over the head for not signing their packages, but I guess I need to contact Fedora's developers over that one ;-D ... so please help me with the issues that pertain to X10 VPS?

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

I need to add some info, but don't feel like editing my post above.

I tried installing Papaya CMS, Jojo CMS, Family Connections CMS, and PMWiki, all to no avail. The install screens work but nothing else. In Papaya CMS even the install screen returns a White Screen of Death.

I am at wit's end over this, and ready to switch VPS hosts at the end of May (I have a trip to China between mid April and mid May, when I cannot do jack squat about any web issues since I will be living in a Beijing ghetto [where my grandma resides] for about three weeks, and where Internet access is not reliable). I need help as soon as possible.

Any info needed, I will try to share a system printout or something. By the way, I don't use forums much. I prefer the phone, and I am a premium & a VPS user, so I hope that support option is available and covered by my plan.

Thanks for any help in advance.

PS - Ignore the SMX issue for now...

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

I posted this thread too eagerly.

It turns out there's a tutorial for my issues. I'm looking at it now, via another browser tab. Sorry for posting to eagerly!

~ Nathan.