How do I get my domain working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arizonapcrepair

Reaction score
I got one of those $10 Google Apps domains that comes with everything, 50 free e-mail accounts on your domain (through Gmail), Calendar, Documents, etc. The domain was purchased through Google from a company called eNom. I was hoping that I would get one of the GoDaddy domains instead, but too late now.

The domain is metrophoenixcomputers.com and right now, when you go to the main page, all I get a cPanel page saying my website is up. If I change the CNAME records over to the x10 hosting, the website at x10 works great, but then my e-mail through Google stops working.

Is there a way that I can make it so that emails will go through Google, and the webhosting goes through x10? I have tried "add new record" or something like that, then I have added "ns1.x10hosting.com" and "ns2.x10hosting.com" and I get the cPanel page, instead of my website. But if I choose "custom DNS" and program those, the website works, but then my 50 free email accounts are gonners.

I am new to this domain stuff, and this is my first time actually configuring DNS, rather than just doing a "Domain Redirect" service.

I need all the help I can get :dunno:

arizonapcrepair

Reaction score
You need to set the domain in the account manager or park it in cPanel.

I just get an error saying I can not park my main domain. "Error from park wrapper: You cannot park your main domain!" I have tried the "Addon Domains" button, and it just errors out with the same thing.

The domain has already been set in account manager as well. x10 recognizes my domain.

Last edited:

changc

Reaction score
You need to point your domain to the x10hosting nameservers, ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com. I am not sure where that would be in eNom or google, but you need to log in from there, not from cPanel.

For future reference, $10 is quite a lot for a domain. You can get domains for as little as $5 or $2 at other places. :p

arizonapcrepair

Reaction score
You need to point your domain to the x10hosting nameservers, ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com. I am not sure where that would be in eNom or google, but you need to log in from there, not from cPanel.

For future reference, $10 is quite a lot for a domain. You can get domains for as little as $5 or $2 at other places. :p

When I did that, everything at x10 works great, but then all of my Google Gmail stuff then stops working. Is there a way I can get the Gmail to continue working while having the domain point to x10?

jmcgowan

Reaction score
As of right now, your pages show as follows:
www.metrophoenixcomputers.com -> shows the apache / cpanel success page
www.google.com/a/metrophoenixcomputers.com -> your domain's mail login through gmail

Now, as far as whether or not the email addresses and such work, you need to make some adjustments to the MX records at the eNom page. Google Apps has a tutorial for it that will walk you through it, very easy to follow. To get your new domain pointed to your x10hosting account, I'm not so sure, as I haven't tried pulling that one off yet.

arizonapcrepair

Reaction score
As of right now, your pages show as follows:
www.metrophoenixcomputers.com -> shows the apache / cpanel success page
www.google.com/a/metrophoenixcomputers.com -> your domain's mail login through gmail

Now, as far as whether or not the email addresses and such work, you need to make some adjustments to the MX records at the eNom page. Google Apps has a tutorial for it that will walk you through it, very easy to follow. To get your new domain pointed to your x10hosting account, I'm not so sure, as I haven't tried pulling that one off yet.

I found another thread right below me who has the same problem with Google Apps. I have just created a support ticket, and hopefully pretty soon here, I would be able to get my Google Apps email working great. Thanks for the effort though.

My eNom page will not allow me to change the MX records myself, unless I use their DNS Servers, so I guess I am supposed to do it through cPanel., which won't work. Hopefully the staff will be able to rectify this problem for sure though. :cool:

jmcgowan

Reaction score
is it possible to use both sets of DNS Servers? I'm surprised that they would work directly with Google Apps if they're going to have a rule like that... kind of self defeating if you ask me.

zapzack

Reaction score
Yeah.. your site is loading now..

@arizonapcrepair and @jmcgowan There is a way around that.. You can use http://everydns.com It allows you to edit any of your records for free.. You just point the domain to their nameservers

arizonapcrepair

Reaction score
is it possible to use both sets of DNS Servers? I'm surprised that they would work directly with Google Apps if they're going to have a rule like that... kind of self defeating if you ask me.

Unfortunately no, there is no way for me to do that, they really shot themselves in the foot with this one. Hopefully after all of the Google Apps mess has been resolved, I can manage the domain through cPanel, in terms of adding things such as URL redirects.

Status
Not open for further replies.