How do I keep the server from altering my HTML?

rcresume

Reaction score
I am creating some simple web pages and I'm finding that the server alters those pages from what I wrote. And I don't mean a tiny or subtle change either! For example, I wrote a very simple web page with something very close to this:

---
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Index</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Welcome to index.shtml!</h1>
</body>
</html>
---

then saved the file and viewed the page. Then I clicked on View Page Source in my browser and saw that the page had changed to this:

---
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>Index</title>
<script id="_nameHighlight_injection"></script>
<link class="skype_name_highlight_style" href="chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/injection_nh_graph.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" charset="utf-8" id="_injection_graph_nh_css" />
<link href="chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/skypeplugin_dropdownmenu.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" charset="utf-8" id="_skypeplugin_dropdownmenu_css" />
</head>
<body>
<h1>Welcome to index.shtml!</h1>
</body>
</html>
---

In other words, my DOCTYPE was completely overwritten plus a <script> tag and two <link> tags that I didn't want have been added to my code.

Why is this happening and how can I stop it? I don't want my HTML altered, I want to leave it exactly the way I wrote it.

--
Cletus

Last edited:

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
This is a Programming related question.

***Thread moved to Programming Help***

bankimoon

Reaction score
eh, i would say its a hosting related question. did you read it? or just notice that it has code in it.

unless this is ad free hosting, then you cannot change this. it puts ads in your html as compensation for allowing you a free host. its been a while since i logged into my account so i dont remember if this hosting is ad free or not. but if there are ads, then this is why your code is changing and if you want to solve the problem then you must pay for hosting.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
eh, i would say its a hosting related question. did you read it? or just notice that it has code in it.

unless this is ad free hosting, then you cannot change this. it puts ads in your html as compensation for allowing you a free host. its been a while since i logged into my account so i dont remember if this hosting is ad free or not. but if there are ads, then this is why your code is changing and if you want to solve the problem then you must pay for hosting.

You clearly do not know what you are talking about.
Free accounts are ad free.
If you wish to upgrade by putting in x10hosting ads, you have to put them on your pages manually yourself. The server does not insert code.

rcresume : Do you have a url I could look at? Are you using FireFox? Do you have the Skype plug in installed?

Last edited: